• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Structure Question About Page Names And Using Two Index.html Files In

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pete L

Pete L

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:26 PM

I hope I can write this clearly enough so it is not misunderstood.

I have a new league site that ranks well in Google already. I've just added more pages, but in a separate folder, because it is another organization, which is very similar to my initial one. The difference is the organization has a different name and takes place as a summer league program, where the other program runs fall through spring. So I've piggy-backed the new league on my first one. The format of the pages is the same, but the content is different.

Just to preserve my own sanity, I named the new pages in the new folder with the abbreviation of the league, so instead of the about-us.html, I have it as abc-about-us.html.

What I am wondering about is the home page. I named it index.html, just like the index.html of the root directory. So will having two pages named "index.html" on the site, even though they are in different folders of course, throw up any search engine red flags for my site? I'm thinking not... or maybe I'm just not thinking. Anyway, I try not to make assumptions, and try asking for help, instead.

Example

root folder....
index.html
about-us.htm
events.html
contact-us.html

folder abc...
index.html
abc/about-us.htm
abc/events.html
abc/contact-us.html

-------------------------

My alternative to is rename the index.html file in the "abc" folder, and possibly removing that second folder to combine all pages in the root folder. Having it the way I do now however, does make it easier on me if I want to separate the two sites in the future, but my priority is to make the best seo structure, and not create a "No-no" situation.

Oh, and the new pages/folder are not indexed yet, I just put them up.

Thanks.

Pete

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,926 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:45 PM

Nope, it's absolutely, positively 100% fine.

#3 Pete L

Pete L

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Feb 28 2011, 02:45 PM) View Post
Nope, it's absolutely, positively 100% fine.

That's good to know, thanks Jill!

Pete thumbup1.gif

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,612 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:11 PM

If a page is in a different folder, then it already has a different URL, and that doesn't just go for the index page. If you named the About Us page in the abc folder about-us.html instead of abc-about-us.html, it would be domain.com/abc/about-us.html, so it's already differentiated from domain.com/about-us.html.

If you really did have two pages at the same URL, your problem wouldn't be duplicate content. It would be that one of those pages would always be gone. That is, if you had two pages, both named page.html and both in the same folder, then uploading one page.html to your server would simply overwrite the other page.html. It would be gone from the server until you uploaded it, at which point the other page.html would be gone.

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:34 PM

What I am wondering about is the home page. I named it index.html, just like the index.html of the root directory. So will having two pages named "index.html" on the site...

Do NOT structure your internal links in any of these ways:
Do NOT structure your internal links in any of these ways:

/index.html
www.example.com/index.html
www.example.com/index.html
/folder/index.html
www.example.com/folder/index.html
../index.html

Instead, structure ALL of your internal links in these ways:

www.example.com/
www.example.com/folder/
www.example.com/a.html