• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Moving From .com To .net And Back To .com

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 oldmatt

oldmatt

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:07 PM

OK. Here's the scenario...

I have inherited a site on a .com domain that is years old (mainly a couple of dozen static pages). I am overhauling the site and putting the new one (a CMS) on a .net domain (since the site cannot be down for any length of time and I only have one server so I can't do it how I would normally do it and keep it on the .com the whole time)

What I was thinking of doing is making the new .net site live and running both for a time. Then after the new site has been tested, pointing the .com domain to the .net (new) version. Thus, both domains would then show the new site. I could then go back to the .com files and put in 301's to the new pages.

However, This seems like it could cause some problems. So, for what should I be looking out?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:13 PM

Totally confused.

Create your new site in a password protected directory or on another password protected domain. When it's working as you want, then make it live where the old site lives.

#3 oldmatt

oldmatt

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:59 PM

Thanks Jill! I can understand why you're "totally confused", you should see the rest of the sites' structure.

I considered doing it that way but I just got done with another site overhaul on this exact same server (different domain), and it was a headache trying to get the new site (the one inside the directory) to resolve to the webroot. Also, it looks like someone tried the technique you mentioned Jill, and something didn't work. I say that because there is folder with the new CMS in it.

Let me see if I can simplify the question embarrassed.gif :

Site rebuild while adding the .net version of the domain to the site. What I would normally do is just build the new .com site on another server and then when it is done, re-point the .com domain to that server and then park the the .net domain on the same site.

But in this case the site has to remain on the same server. (Plesk Control Panel Joomla! CMS)

Is that any better?

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:14 PM

No, you absolutely do not want to change your domain or URL when creating the new site. Invest in a server if that's what it takes.

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:00 PM

I agree with Jill in principle. You're proposing taking a hit in the search results for the sake of not resolving technical issues. Maybe they can't be resolved, but I don't know enough about your situation to argue that one way or the other.

Before trying something so radical as what you propose. I would consider setting up a sub-domain (you can do this on another server) to test the new site design.

#6 oldmatt

oldmatt

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:41 AM

Thanks Jill, Michael.

I am so glad I asked. Initially, it never occurred to me that there might be a problem. Then, I started getting a weird feeling about the whole idea. I appreciate the honest feedback.

Now, I just have to figure out a way to convince my supervisors of the benefits of temporarily investing in another server.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!