• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Google Penalized Overstock...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:41 AM

Hi,

Anybody see this...the wall street journal broke this story today......Google Penalized Overstock.

Have to run...

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:15 AM

Interesting that they believed the old myth that .edu links are somehow better than others.

Since any college kid can create an .edu link, Google certainly isn't dumb enough to have that be true.

#3 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:52 PM

I guess the news media still feel that Google has a "Kick Me" sign on its back. These penalty stories are now passe, as far as I am concerned. 3 in about 3 weeks is all I can take.

I think the news media need to celebrate the making of "The Beverly Hillbillies" or something for the next few weeks to give us a break.

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,619 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:23 PM

Maybe they can freshen it up by finding a nexus of current stories. Did you know that Qadaffi and Mubarak both bought links?

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:04 PM

Archaeologists have been looking for the missing link for centuries -- why aren't the media beating up on the scientific community for not updating it's algorithms?

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:58 AM

Overstock still shows up highly, so I'm not sure what sort of penalty they got, if any.

They show up for the phrase I had talked about in my newsletter a few weeks ago, baby furniture. They're now number 3 since ole JC Penney was penalized.

The page that shows up has some of the .edu discount links, which I really don't think are that bad. They're providing students and alumni with a 10% discount within the information on the site. The pile of links they have to post is a bit much. There are also a lot of fake blogs with links to the baby furniture page Overstock and some article directory links. It's amazing how such low quality crap works so well. That said, Overstock also has a very sophisticated site architecture and on-page cross-linking strategy. You can tell they understand SEO very well.

#7 chapulin

chapulin

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:40 AM

How fast does it take to reflect the changes? I read news in the official Google blog googleblog.blogspot.com that they changed their algorithm in the last day or 2. Would it reflect immediately or does it take like a week usually when this happens?

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:31 PM

It would be immediate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your