• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Does The Order Of Words In Keyword Phrases Matter?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 shakin318

shakin318

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:02 PM

Am wondering if I need to list the multiple variations of keyword phrases, or if listing it once will suffice. For example:

Long Island party ideas vs. Party ideas Long Island ...would including just one work for both?

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE(shakin318 @ Feb 22 2011, 09:02 AM) View Post
Am wondering if I need to list the multiple variations of keyword phrases, or if listing it once will suffice. For example:

A B C D vs. C D A B ...would including just one work for both?

If you posted your actual keywords you may want to change your post, as this forum can rank well for obscure expressions like that.

Technically, word order matters somewhat. The more obscure a query, the less competition there is for the reverse expression, the less you need to worry about word order and proximity.

Only in the most competitive of queries would I fuss over something like this. Or if I just wanted to have some fun and mess with people's minds (which, admittedly, I sometimes do).

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,008 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:02 AM

Am wondering if I need to list the multiple variations of keyword phrases, or if listing it once will suffice.

To list the keywords where?

#4 shakin318

shakin318

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Feb 23 2011, 08:02 AM) View Post
To list the keywords where?

Sorry, I guess I could have been clearer. I'm in the process of defining (re-defining, actually) my llist of what I think would be my optimal keyword phrases for my site. The various phrases on the list would each end up in some form or another where they're supposed to (title tags, meta keywords/description, page content, specified for Adwords, etc.)

I'm just trying to determine if it's necessary to include both A B C D and C D A B (etc.) on my list of desirable keyword phrases when both variations do make perfect sense gramatically. In other words, does google see the phrase, or does it see the 4 words in the phrase as a group, regardless of order.

Michael's response is helpful -- while the two-word generic part of my phrase is tremendously competitive on google (found pages well into the six figures), when I add the two-word geographic adjective (and what I think would be the most likely search term entered for someone looking for what I offer in my area), google finds fewer than 100 pages.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,008 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:53 AM

Using all the different forms of the phrases in your content is definitely a good idea and will help it read better too!

#6 ABAR

ABAR

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:51 PM

Does Google present different results based on the order of word phrases

i.e.

american literature and literature american

(these keywords are just an example).

#7 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE(ABAR @ Jun 24 2011, 05:51 PM) View Post

i.e.

american literature and literature american

(these keywords are just an example).

Yes, Google sometimes presents different results based on the order of word phrases. What determines that is usually the body of documents that people create and publish on the Web where one group of documents uses the first word-order almost exclusively and the other body of documents uses the alternative word order almost exclusively.

There are, of course, other signals that may be factored into the search results. The more homogenous the data becomes for both word orders, the more likely the same results will be shown for both word orders.

#8 ABAR

ABAR

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:39 PM

very helpful. thanks.

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,008 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:41 PM

QUOTE(ABAR @ Jun 24 2011, 08:51 PM) View Post

Do a search and see for yourself what they show.

#10 MattBriggs

MattBriggs

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE(shakin318 @ Feb 22 2011, 11:02 AM) View Post

Long Island party ideas vs. Party ideas Long Island ...would including just one work for both?

It depends on what you're going for. If you're writing a title tag (<title>Your Title</title>) then it's good to put the two forms of the word in the title. You want to strike a good balance between enriching your content with keywords you're looking to target but also maintaining readability by a real human. Good luck!

#11 imagine

imagine

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:53 AM

I like to write my keywords in the increasing order of relevance to the purpose of my website. Sometimes it does help to put the keywords with higher frequency higher up the order. I tried it and saw the results my self, however the results were very obscure and couldn't notarize something like this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!