• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Jc Penney Blackhat Seo Techniques

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 shakin318

shakin318

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:13 AM

Sorry if this was posted already, but I searched and did not see it. This past holiday season, JC Penney ranked first on google for a tremendous range of generic items (ie "dresses," "comforters," etc). Turns out that their SEO firm was using link schemes on a massive scale, and the result was an extremely profitable online sales season for JC Penney (NY Times article is here www.nytimes.com/2011/02/13/business/13search.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss )

Some wonder if google "missed" this due to the fact that JC Penney is a huge advertiser on google; personally I can't see google compromising its reputation so blatantly. So working under the premise that JCPs SEO firm successfully got away with blackhat techniques for so long, I have a question.

My understanding is that backlinks from pages with low or zero pageranks are basically worthless to google. I can't imagine that the thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of backlinks generated by the link scheme were from high pagerank sites, so why did they work to shoot JCP to the top?

I have been trying to create backlinks legitimately (manually) on sites with pageranks of 4 or better. If my understanding that "quality is better than quantity" is inaccurate, I'd sure like to know!

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:09 PM

Yes, we're discussing it here:

http://www.highranki...showtopic=45459

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,