• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Have 2 Identical 1 Page Sites. Need To Delete

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Webseeker

Webseeker

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:36 AM

Hello,

Ok, here's my problem...

I created an eBook and made a one page site for it, but I did not have it on it's own domain. I registered an .info domain, then activated the forwarding feature on it.

WidgetsGalore.info forwards to --> h.t.t.p.//w.w.w.another-domain.com/widgetsgalore.html

Back then I didn't know what I was doing. I then got smarter and had WidgetsGalore.info on it's own domain. So now when you type the URL in, you go straight to the sales page.

I didn't think of it until the other day, but I accidentally left the other domain still going:

h.t.t.p.//w.w.w.another-domain.com/widgetsgalore.html

Now when people do a search for a few different keyword phrases, they are shown results to the old URL! LOL!

What do I do now? Just delete the whole old page and hope the search engines find the new site... or at least start to index it and show it in the results? Do I leave the old page still operating, but change it so that people can go to the new URL? I know eventually I will remove it, but need some help first.

Most all my sales have come from searches on different SE's going to the old page.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Webseeker

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,580 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:09 AM

Set up a 301 redirect from the old URL to the new one.

#3 Webseeker

Webseeker

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:24 PM

Hello qwerty,

You know, when I got that answer from you, I wasn't at all thrilled. I think I recall "hearing" something about a redirect somewhere else, but didn't know about a 301 or what it was. I wasn't happy to see such a simple answer because it was all Greek to me! I didn't know anything about how to do such a thing or where even to start.

Anyway, I stepped up to the plate and accepted this challenge I seem to be facing. My ventures started at the search engines trying to figure exactly what a 301 redirect was. From that I learned and got some "enlightenment"... courteous of your simple, but true answer.

I ventured forward as if I were confident since I saw a few people say how easy it is. Well, not for me it wasn't. I burned a couple of hours trying to do the php 301 redirect with no luck. It looked super easy. I soon shifted my attention to a .htaccess 301 redirect... which looked very confusing to me.

Long story short; after some quick reading I found some code, created a .htaccess file and placed it in that and changed the template of code to have my info. Then I uploaded it to the appropriate directory and Voilą, SUCCESS! Couldn't believe it. Nailed it on my first try!

So thank you for replying and letting me learn the hard way. It's not the first time you've helped me out, so thank you! notworthy.gif

Webseeker

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,580 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:04 PM

You're welcome smile.gif But had you told me you didn't know how to set up a redirect, I could have pointed you to our giant pinned thread all about 301 redirects.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!