• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Depth Of Internal Pages

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Corvin

Corvin

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:16 AM

Hey there.

My problem is the following: the company that is building the websites of our company wants to create internal pages this way:
domain.com/xy/directory/language/page/12.html -> About Us page
domain.com/zn/directory/language/page/12/34.html -> Product Page

When I try to convince them to create it like this: domain.com/language/page.html or domain.com/language/product.html, telling them it's better from user's point of view (they can actually see where they are on the website), from usability point of view (should we ever need to put the URL on a banner, on a t-shirt, bla, it won't fit) and from google's point of view (i KNOW it's not a decision-maker when it comes to ranking our page, but if I think about it reasonably, something hidden behind 4-6 slashes cannot be as important as something right after the homepage, so it DOES have some slight effect on the rankings at the end of the day), they tell me I'm wrong.

Now my question for you guys is do you also think I am wrong from all 3 points of view?

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,625 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:38 AM

Personally, I like URLs that illustrate the structure of a site. If that's what these URLs are doing, and a user can work their way up from specific content to more general content, I'd be OK with it. However, if it actually takes five clicks to get to a page that has a URL indicating that its five levels away from the home page, and that page is important enough that you need it to be indexed about as quickly as the home page, that's not going to work.

But navigation and directory structure don't have to mirror each other. You can link to a page with a URL that indicates that it's deep within the site from the home page if that makes sense for users.

And of course, if these URLs are being generated for no reason other than the fact that they're using some clumsy content management system, that's no excuse. You need a different CMS.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,979 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:23 PM

but if I think about it reasonably, something hidden behind 4-6 slashes cannot be as important as something right after the homepage, so it DOES have some slight effect on the rankings at the end of the day), they tell me I'm wrong.

I agree with them, you are wrong.

Search engines don't care about the apparent directory structure based on URLs, only the actual site architecture based on how everything links together within your navigation.

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,143 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 03:17 PM

Jill, did you look at that awful URL structure the Web design company supposedly wants to use? There is nothing user-friendly in that mess.

Forget the search engines -- go with the simpler URLs so that users DO understand where they are.

I'd fire the Web design company that didn't want to do it right. Based solely on what you share here, I would say they don't know what they're talking about.

#5 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,625 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:12 PM

If the examples in the original post are accurate, I agree. Those URLs say little to nothing about the structure of the site or the content of the pages.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!