• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Can .info Compete With .com ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 babycoder

babycoder

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:51 AM

Hello!!

I'm so glad I found this forum!

I have a bit of experience but am not able to come to a conclusion if .info domains can compete with .com domains.

Many people insist that .com will always rank higher.

So my question is:

assuming there is the same exact match keyword domain name, will the .info be able to rank above the .com if it had a bit more good links?

After so much research, I can't find any valid example, therefore I'm also worried that a .info will still rank lower than a subdomain or a page so if the keyword was for example "swimming pool"

we would have to compare:

www.swimmingpool.com

www.example.com/swimmingpool.html

www.swimmingpool.info

One of my friend thinks that extension does not matter, yet I never see a .info on top.

Thank you

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,110 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:44 AM

All equally meaningless!

#3 babycoder

babycoder

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Feb 21 2011, 03:44 AM) View Post
All equally meaningless!

why?

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:48 AM

Search engines aren't interested in a site's top level domain, unless it happens to be a national TLD, like .lu for Luxembourg, and that only helps if you happen to be marketing the site to an audience in Luxembourg.

#5 babycoder

babycoder

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE(qwerty @ Feb 22 2011, 01:48 AM) View Post
Search engines aren't interested in a site's top level domain, unless it happens to be a national TLD, like .lu for Luxembourg, and that only helps if you happen to be marketing the site to an audience in Luxembourg.

Hi, well I was not talking about national TLDs or ccTLDs, but specifically about global TLD such as .com / .net / .org / .info / .biz

This is quite important for me as I'm undecided in which extension I need to register another 20 domains.

Thanks

#6 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:07 AM

As I said, it only matters if it's a national TLD. Since it isn't, it doesn't matter.

That being said, people seem to find .com easier to remember. If you can get that, I'd say you should, but if you've got a domain name in mind that you believe will serve as a memorable brand for the business but .com isn't available for it, go with something else and don't worry about whether the search engines have a preference when it comes to that kind of thing.

#7 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:31 PM

I'm undecided in which extension I need to register another 20 domains
That suggests to me that a lot of emphasis is being put on the "Value" of the domain name for search engine performance.
If they are all for the same project, registering several (maybe 2 or 3) is quite normal, but 20 ......

I frequently advise clients to get the set if they are available .com + .co.uk + (depending on Mkt sector) .net + .org
Generally though, the pair .com and .co.uk is sufficient and keeps out predatory parkers.

#8 babycoder

babycoder

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE(piskie @ Feb 22 2011, 04:31 AM) View Post
That suggests to me that a lot of emphasis is being put on the "Value" of the domain name for search engine performance.
If they are all for the same project, registering several (maybe 2 or 3) is quite normal, but 20 ......

I frequently advise clients to get the set if they are available .com + .co.uk + (depending on Mkt sector) .net + .org
Generally though, the pair .com and .co.uk is sufficient and keeps out predatory parkers.

Hi, yes you nearly got what my strategy is but the .com are all gone.

So I'm trying to get a hand of the keywords related to my niche.

But from the previous comments, I'm getting the idea that an exact match domain is not better than any other domain, which contrast with my research and my friend's opinion, I'm quite confused now.

#9 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:37 PM

amazon.com
Not a mention of "Books" or "Music" or ..................

Well you get the point, the most successful selling site in the world has a river for it's domain name but doesn't sell a single river anywhere on the site. However, every single person in the world that ever sat in a classroom knows about the Amazon. One word and extremely memorable.

IMHO, the most important aspect of a domain name is that it is memorable and easy to type in with minimum mistakes.

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,011 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:37 AM

Unfortunately, right now, the search engines are putting an inordinate amount of weight on exact match domains. Matt Cutts from Google has stated that they're working on that problem, but I haven't seen much change (although I haven't studied it scientifically).

So at the moment, an exact match domain will likely provide you with some benefit. It's likely not very long-term, however, and I would always recommend a brandable, non-keyword domain over a silly-sounding, .info domain that has keyword in it, for that reason.

#11 babycoder

babycoder

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:07 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Feb 24 2011, 12:37 AM) View Post
Unfortunately, right now, the search engines are putting an inordinate amount of weight on exact match domains. Matt Cutts from Google has stated that they're working on that problem, but I haven't seen much change (although I haven't studied it scientifically).

So at the moment, an exact match domain will likely provide you with some benefit. It's likely not very long-term, however, and I would always recommend a brandable, non-keyword domain over a silly-sounding, .info domain that has keyword in it, for that reason.

Hi Jill,

many thanks for your reply, on a side note I found this forum after my friend pointed me to read your Brain freeze SEO articles smile.gif which are helping to move the first steps in my SEO studies.

In regards to the exact match and Google, if they remove the benefits of exact match then I guess that the whole searching will become much more messy.

I have experienced with some ccTld that with exact match and just 1 link, I was up on the number 2 on Google for a low competition term.

So, I'm here trying to understand if for now, I can do the same if the .com /.net /.org are parked or undeveloped.

My logic would say yes. But I guess I only have to try it now since I can't find any example.

Lastly, it seems that the newly .co (ccTld for Colombia) is been treated as a Global TLD:

Google treats .co as a Global TLD

which adds another option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!