• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

If Google Rank Centers On Individual Url...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 iananderson

iananderson

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:10 AM

Hi guys,
I am just wondering about your strategies for adding content over time. For example, if a page is doing pretty well, but you want to make sure that it stays that way and you have fresh content, where is the best place to put it?

I am going on the assumption that google looks at individual pages/URL's, so which is best for SEO:

[1] Just keep adding to the same page. E.g: example.com/widgets and ending up with a long page of good content.

or

[2] Put the fresh/related content on another page 'underneath' the main page and build a few related pages over time?
E.g: example.com/widgets/more info
example.com/widgets/more info two

I understand to have lots of internal links etc, but will google 'understand' that they are related and 'like it'?
Also, is it true that adding new info in the comments is a fair idea......

I am in this for the long haul and doing ok so far, I am just looking to learn from those who have been doing this for a while and their long term strategies regarding new content.

Many thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer. Nice to write something, I am a bit scared to be so far away from my feed reader......But It's true that I have been 'lurking' far too long! crossfingers.gif
Cheers for now
Ian

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,875 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:54 AM

You never need to just add content to "freshen up" a page.

In fact, some of the highest ranking pages, you'll see, are those that haven't been touched in years.

The whole fresh content thing, is a bit of a myth. It's not that a page's content needs to be updated often, it's more than a site that is publishing blog posts and the like on a regular basis, will get spidered on a regular basis. And of course, all that new content will have the ability to show up in search results for the long-tail keywords that just happen to be naturally contained within it.

#3 iananderson

iananderson

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:41 PM

Ok, thanks Jill. It is just that I am never happy with things that I write because it can always be better!

I guess that I can tweek my original content to make it how it "should have been" in the first place, had time allowed!

Thanks again

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,875 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:56 PM

I guess that I can tweek my original content to make it how it "should have been" in the first place, had time allowed!

That's always a good thing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!