• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Working From A Distant Location?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:17 AM

I've been wondering if it was doable for a good SEO...to...basically work from another location. A few months per year (or even all of the year - though not my plan, right now)

e.g. working for people in your home (US, UK or Germany in my case) but living in Thailand or a cheap Southern American country ;-).

I basically dislike the autumn/winter-half year here in Germany quite a bit, and have friends who are living in such countries at the moment....so was wondering if I could escape the winter here in Germany regularly.

I'm wondering how big people are on accountability, though. Can it be done if you know enough people at agencies, etc. in your home who know they can trust you?

thanks!

#2 traveltext

traveltext

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:09 AM

Ask yourself this question: "Who knows where you are working from at any given moment".

Once you have enough clients who are unconcerned about your location, then the time is right to live and work wherever you please in the world.

However, if you have clients that want face-to-face contact, then expect to lose them if you can't meet this requirement.

Should you move to an Asian country, be prepared to adjust your work hours to those of the time zones in your client's country. And be sure to find a reliable ISP, a 24-hour power supply, and a workspace without too many distractions :-)

#3 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:29 AM

thanks for the reply!

what Im really wondering though is - how important is face-to-face contact for most clients, out there...when it comes to SEO? Do most say (if theyve known you for years+ Instant messenger & phone worked just fine for communication) "oh yeah no problem, we hardly ever met in the pa st, anyway...

or do many say "hell no. I need you to be here (even if its irrational, unlogical)". People arent always logical, after all :-).

so Id love to know how this works out in the real world, and if its as easy as you and I imagine, or if it's a lot more difficult to actually pull it off.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,918 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:58 AM

I've only met a few of my clients face-to-face. Most are not local. Although, I must say the past few years it seems that more and more do want that local aspect.

You can do it however your clients are comfortable with. I've found a lot of value in face-to-face contact, but depending on the job, it's definitely not a necessity for most.

And that's the beauty of SEO, it can be done from any location.

#5 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:28 AM

I had completely neglected that aspect of SEO, i must admit. just awesome! ;-)
(if it works out the way it should hehe)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!