• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Newbie General Questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Digs63

Digs63

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:08 PM

Wow nice site you have here!

I have developed an asp.net 2 website. Dont worry asp.net specific features wont be mentioned.

Some questions on SEO and designs
1) I have a sitemap for all my pages. The sitemap.xml is create via code. One of my pages is a blog. This blog has 300 posts or 300 pages. Should the site map inlcude all 300 posts or pages or just the top 20 or so ??

2) I have used the H1 tags around my headings. Between the h1 tags I have used <font>,CSS and other light asp.net controls, like asp:label that allow html and text to be written from code. Is this ok ??

3) ASP.net renders my <H1> tags like this : &lt;h1> The &lt; is the < in ascii I think. The html still works ok. Is this an issue ?

4) Out of 1 to 10, how bad is it to have long URLs. I have long URLs with adequate easy reading descriptions in the. But they are still long: Eg www.mydomain.com/Pages/info.aspx?jh65=MjAw&su23=Ng==&65tf=84&bots=my-subject-matter

Thanks

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,880 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:10 AM

Should the site map inlcude all 300 posts or pages or just the top 20 or so ??

If you're going to use a sitemap (which isn't necessary for most well designed sites) it might as well contain all your URLs.

I have used the H1 tags around my headings. Between the h1 tags I have used <font>,CSS and other light asp.net controls, like asp:label that allow html and text to be written from code. Is this ok ??

You can use whatever code you like on your pages. Search engines care more for the content, not the code.

Out of 1 to 10, how bad is it to have long URLs.

It depends. For the most part, the length of the URL is not a problem whatsoever. However, if there are multiple query parameters that can cause duplicate content issues that's where you can run into problems. But it has nothing to do with how long things are.

You may wish to read some of the posts in our dynamically generated content forum for more information.

#3 Digs63

Digs63

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:12 PM

Thanks for a response.

I do use <h1> and <h2>, but they render like this in the source code.

&lt;h1> and &lt;H2>

The &lt; is the ascii code for <. Everything still works as far as I cant tell.

Should I expect any issues from google crawler when they see &lt; instead of <???

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:16 PM

QUOTE(Digs63 @ Feb 15 2011, 05:12 PM) View Post
I do use <h1> and <h2>, but they render like this in the source code.

&lt;h1> and &lt;H2>

The &lt; is the ascii code for <. Everything still works as far as I cant tell.

Should I expect any issues from google crawler when they see &lt; instead of <???

So the text embedded in the H1 elements is larger than the text embedded in the H2 elements -- and you're not using CSS on them?

Interesting.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,880 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:09 AM

It's probably due to whatever HTML editor you're using and/or how the files are getting ftp'd.

At any rate, it makes no difference to search engines whether you have H tags or not, so don't worry about that. You might want to remove them from your code all together if the code is showing in the page itself as part of the content.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!