• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Question About Long-tail Keywords?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bossbuild

bossbuild

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:08 AM

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of advice on 'long-tail' keywords.

I've recently revised my AdWords campaign to include more detailed and specific keywords for my site, but i read somewhere today that long tail keywords aren't as effective as they used to be and that it's better to create lots of separate campaigns with very specific adverts and ad groups and then give each ad group a few broad keywords on a phrase match.

Can anyone please explain to me which would be a better option? And most importantly why.

Your help is appreciated =)

Spike

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:07 AM

In Adwords can you even use long-tail keywords? I was under the impression that keywords that don't get searched very often (which is what long tail keywords are) will just get paused in your account anyway.

Perhaps you could use them in the Content Network? (I'm obviously not a paid search expert, so others may have more valuable info than I do!)

#3 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,625 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:03 PM

Sorry, late to the party. It's been busy at Ye Olde Day Jobbe. juggle.gif mf_type.gif

We've had a bit of success using Google's modified broad match (+keyword).

Putting a little thought into the combinations of modified broad match words we use, monitoring the actual search phrases they're triggered by and keeping up with appropriate negative keywords, we're currently using a list of fewer than 30 key phrases to promote a specific product on our site. With those, we've received traffic from over 300 relevant -- many of them long-tail -- search terms. thumbup1.gif

The trick to it is to figure out combinations of words that will cover the maximum number of potentially relevant queries and determine which negatives you should set up to keep irrelevant queries at a minimum.

For instance, the single word +web would work for "web," "web-based," "on the web", etc. Combine that with the right additional words and you can cover a broad spectrum of search phrases with relatively few actual keywords. banana.gif

--Torka mf_prop.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!