• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Confusing And Skeptical Alexa And Google Ranks

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bluezdaze

bluezdaze

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:53 PM

Hi,

My first post here, so sorry if it's in the wrong category.

I'm hoping someone here is smarter than I am (no big trick there!).
A company is trying to sell me advertising and represented certain site traffic and rankings to me. I went and checked Alexa and google and see some things that don't seem to make sense, but I'm not sure.

when I enter - theirsite.com - it shows them at approxomayely 45,000 Alexa rand, but only 8% of traffic from search engines. This makes me wonder where the traffic is coming from and if it is fraudulent to increase their numbers. Also, I see a huge amount of traffic from India which also confuses me. I did a backlink check and there didn't seem to be any "real" sites linking to it.

My concern is that, even though their ad cost is reasonable, I don't want to pay for ads no one will see, or be involved with a company that isn't honest.

Any input appreciated!

Al

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:37 PM

I cannot speak for other people but many of my personal sites get a majority of their traffic from non-search sources. Search engines are only one of many potential marketing channels on the Internet. For sites where I am actively managing traffic acquisition, I strive to keep search referral traffic to somewhere between 20% and 30% of total traffic. A site that gets only 8% of its traffic from search could have great brand value or might have a reduced search visibility (either by design or from penalties).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!