• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

To Keep Or Toss A Dormant Blog?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:04 PM

When a blog 'goes dead', is it wise to cut it loose? The site I'm dealing with has a blog on a subdomain for which the last entry was July 2010. There's no immediate plan to reactivate it due to lack of manpower. A "site:" search on Google shows around 100 results for that blog, and the blog itself has a lot of internal links to other areas of the site that were hyperlinked with target SEO keywords. In fact, I suspect that the blog itself was started purely as a way to boost keywords within the main site. But anyway, now that it's not being updated anymore, I'm wondering whether it's better to have a dead blog full of potentially valuable links, or no blog at all...

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,063 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:21 PM

It depends on whether the continuing search visibility is worth the cost of the resources required to maintain that visibility.

I archived an old Blogger blog on my personal domain a few years ago. I haven't written any new posts for that blog since early 2007. The majority of the search traffic to that site, I believe, is drawn from random queries that lead to the archived blog posts.

#3 insidethelab

insidethelab

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:09 AM

If it's on a subdomain and it helps you internal linking, why get rid of it? If you read Scottie's recommended article in the newbie section she said that spiders like old content to, but the prefer updating content. From the information that I have Google's obviously okay with the blog content if it's still indexed, so my question would be is the internal linking to excessive?

Rand put together a decent write up on his findings on the testing internal linking to give you a few ideas on whether or not it's worth it unfortunately I can link out to it, just search big G for seomoz internal link testing and you should find it.

Also have you check you analytics to see what kind of traffic the blog is bringing in (i.e. keyword, number etc.?)

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,912 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:21 AM

Check your analytics. Are the blog pages bringing traffic? Are people reading the stuff there?

If so, why remove it?

Even if they're not, I'm not sure if there's any reason to remove it either, unless the information is out of date/incorrect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!