• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Best Tool For Finding Website Backlinks

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Madasia

Madasia

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:53 AM

I've been using the Yahoo Site Explorer tool for finding backlinks for websites and it's quite frustrating getting an accurate count. For example:

www.site.com
site.com

will bring back different results.

When I use OpenSiteExplorer I get even different results.

I've been using Raven Tools to get backlink counts using their software, and their software is reporting way different results from both Yahoo and OSE.

My main goal is to report link growth to my clients each month. I'm just having a hard time showing that with all the different tools and results.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:58 PM

None of the tools will give you accurate, complete data. You need to define the metric you're going to use and stick with it. The trend will provide the most value to the client (although I hope you're valuing those links in some way because backlink counts by themselves don't really provide any insight into anything relevant to search engine optimization).

#3 scorpioilya81

scorpioilya81

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:01 PM

Michael is dead on, none of the tools will give you an exact picture, because the poll links differently. OSE and google webmaster tools and yahoo site explorer will all give you link counts........if you want to show Link Growth in a pretty picture, you can use majesticseo.com for link growth but their numbers are usually significantly higher than OSE and webmaster tools (not sure why, maybe they count internal and low quality links that google and OSE don't).

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:07 PM

Yahoo Site Explorer is fine for doing some analysis on what your competitors are doing with their backlinks.

I don't really think you need an accurate number as that doesn't mean anything in the scheme of things.

#5 Madasia

Madasia

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:14 PM

I totally agree with everyone here about backlink counts not meaning much in the grand scheme of things but I just use it as a metric just like anything else in Analytics and Rankings. It's just one piece of the puzzle.

For one of my clients, they are outranked by a number of competitors in a niche. I noticed they have significantly less backlinks than the others in addition to some other SEO metrics.

One of the things I'd like to chart is backlink growth over time since we will be working hard on link building for them.

I guess I will just pick one tool and chart it over time to see.

Do you usually use site.com or www.site.com when getting reports of backlinks using any of the tools?

#6 scorpioilya81

scorpioilya81

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:19 PM

1. As I said before, majesticseo will show you link growth over time so you can see if you're getting outpaced by your competitors.
2. picking 1 tool is a bad idea since no one tool will tell you everything. majestic shows you link velocity, ose can glean intelligence that other tools cannot.
3. The answer is, which one are you trying to rank, lol...the www or the non www. Use that one. Google views them differently. pick the version you want to rank for, and 301 redirect the other version to it, then you'll solve that problem.

#7 Madasia

Madasia

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:01 PM

In regards to the www vs. non-www. Even if they 301 redirect one to the other, I've seen where Majestic and Yahoo still pull different link counts for each version.

#8 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:30 PM

It's your report so you should define a metric you feel comfortable with. It's good that you sought out the opinions of other SEOs but in the end you have to justify what you're doing only to your clients.

In my opinion, if you can show the quality of the backlinks (by something OTHER than Google's Toolbar PR) then your growth measurement offers something that is possibly worth discussing. After all, links create visibility and may send traffic. But to determine the quality of that visibility and traffic you'll need to look closely at other metrics, particularly (non-search) referral data.

#9 scorpioilya81

scorpioilya81

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ Feb 2 2011, 05:30 PM) View Post
It's your report so you should define a metric you feel comfortable with. It's good that you sought out the opinions of other SEOs but in the end you have to justify what you're doing only to your clients.

In my opinion, if you can show the quality of the backlinks (by something OTHER than Google's Toolbar PR) then your growth measurement offers something that is possibly worth discussing. After all, links create visibility and may send traffic. But to determine the quality of that visibility and traffic you'll need to look closely at other metrics, particularly (non-search) referral data.

I didn't even think of that.

How about a list of the top referral sites that YOU have built for your clients with a $ value for the # of goals that those visitors have completed, may be a good indicator of link building. For example a link in a well known business directory may be sending REAL converting traffic that turns into $$$ amounts for the customer, then that's worth something too.

#10 Madasia

Madasia

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:20 PM

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.