• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Two Different Google Pages In Two Parts Of The Country

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 louandel

louandel

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:16 AM

Hi,

I have never come across this before and it has completely thrown me.

I am helping a web site owner with SEO. I live in kent UK and the we company offers services in manchester UK They are about 200 miles apart. The website was created in Manchester. I have been di=oing seop work and putting up blog posts down here in Kent. It has been up for about 5 months.

On Saturday I was trying a few keywords for this solar panel company and I tried putting into Google "solar panels installation". I was shocked and overjoyed to see it no.1 on page 1 of Google. I emailed the company oner to let him know feeling pretty chuffed with myself.

However on monday I was talking to my brother on skype explaining to him a little about how google works etc and I took this site as an example. I brought it up in google on my computer and there it was at no.1 page 1. Byt my brother said it was nowhere to be seen on google!. I was mortified. we checked, double checked, took out capitals etc but it still did not show. Yet as many times as i wanted to bring it up here in Kent there it was at page 1.

Today i rang the site owner to see if they could see it but no, it was not there.

So I am really confused. Because this site is not national there is a lot of use of localised long tail keywords such as solar pnels manchester etc and I know google does odd things with localization etc - ie. it will attempt to bring up stuff that is particular to the localization in your area. But this doesn't make sense as it is the complete opposite of that principal!

Can anyone help me with this.

your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

louandel searchme.gif

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:48 AM

This is actually a common experience. Some of the known causes include:
  • Geolocation may be invoked by the query
  • Two or more people may be looking at results from different data centers
  • One or more people may be looking at personalized search results (with active Web search history)
  • One user may be looking at Google Mobile search and the other at Web search

I don't know how often such variances occur in the UK but I can tell you they have been common in the United States for years. We've even seen different results sitting in the same office, using two computers side-by-side.

#3 louandel

louandel

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:05 AM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ Feb 1 2011, 10:48 AM) View Post
This is actually a common experience. Some of the known causes include:
  • Geolocation may be invoked by the query
  • Two or more people may be looking at results from different data centers
  • One or more people may be looking at personalized search results (with active Web search history)
  • One user may be looking at Google Mobile search and the other at Web search
I don't know how often such variances occur in the UK but I can tell you they have been common in the United States for years. We've even seen different results sitting in the same office, using two computers side-by-side.

Thanks for answering. i have found the reason. I was loggin into my google account when I searched. Because I visit the site a lot when i am doing SEO apparantly the google account stores pages pages you visit. so I put in a search term that refers to solar panels and google thinks! ah you've been to this page loads of times and throws it up.

I have tested this by signing in out of Google. when I am signed out the web site disappears. When I am signed in it reappears and for a very short time I am the hottest kick-ass seo on the planet. There you go I think I've used up my 15 minutes of fame.

Thanks for your help!

louandel

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,103 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:58 AM

http://www.highranki...showtopic=17365 -> Read post #2

and

5 Reasons [url=http://searchengineland.com/080131-071244.php]Why Rankings Are a Poor Measure of Success[/url]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!