• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Dumb Question Re Mobile Site

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wendy

wendy

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:38 AM

Hi Jill

I have an XSite pro site with around 150 pages. When I use their mobile site creator there are around 300 pages, so each page has been recreated with the same content.

I have heard that the only time the SEs penalize for duplicate content if it is on the same site, ie identical pages on 1 site. How come it's not duplicate content to have 2 versions of each page on the same domain?

Sorry, my head won't fit around this one embarrassed.gif

Best regards
Wendy

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,666 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:15 AM

I haven't set up a mobile version of a site myself, so I'm certainly no expert, but as I understand it, the mobile pages should be using a different style sheet with a name that's recognized by mobile bots. You might even be able to just apply the mobile style sheet to your regular pages and have mobile bots crawl the same pages but with different formatting. But if you go with separate pages, the idea is that the regular bots will view the regular pages, the mobile bots will view the mobile pages, and that won't create duplicate content issues.

It's also recommended that, if you use mobile pages, they be placed in their own subdomain.

See http://searchenginel...d-to-know-40101

#3 Mooro

Mooro

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:54 AM

I happen to know a little about mobile sites.

1) No, it is not duplicate content it is content reformatting, a different thing
2) Subdomain is bad advice, why create more addresses than needed?

Detect and serve and do it all on the same URL, no BS, no complications, no confusion just a singular set of URLs that work on multiple devices would be the smart way to do it.

#4 wendy

wendy

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:33 AM

Thanks Mooro & qwerty for your help thumbup1.gif

Wendy

#5 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,737 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:29 PM

Not to mention that Google doesn't have a duplicate content penalty to start with... smile.gif

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#6 bwelford

bwelford

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:03 PM

Perhaps I can present a completely different point of view.

How can you possibly show the same amount of information on a mobile screen when that is so much smaller than any desktop PC? I believe you've got to bite the bullet and work on condensing the information in the desktop screen view by an order of magnitude to make it suitable for mobile screens.

That requires some effort but at least it removes any possibility of duplicate content.

#7 wendy

wendy

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:35 PM

Thanks to everyone who has replied to this topic. I'm going to go ahead with it. If it doesn't work out I can always delete it.

Wendy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!