• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Analytics Contractor

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 eteare

eteare

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:41 PM

I have very little faith that the Google Analytics code on my site is implemented correctly. Among other things, we use ajax and reload the page dynamically and I know we aren't getting correct URLs and title tags off those pages.

So I put a call out for a consult. What do you think an consultant should cost?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,929 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:45 PM

It really depends on whether they can fix it, and if they can, what that fix is worth to you.

While it might be a simple fix for the expert who knows what to look for, the value may be far greater than the time it takes them to figure it out.

#3 eteare

eteare

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jan 27 2011, 03:45 PM) View Post
It really depends on whether they can fix it, and if they can, what that fix is worth to you.

While it might be a simple fix for the expert who knows what to look for, the value may be far greater than the time it takes them to figure it out.

yes, I totally agree. This is the story. I found someone I like who will charge about $200/hour. Doesn't surprise me based on the experience and skill level of the firm. And they estimate about 100 hours, like we would buy 100 hours. Seems reasonable to me. But I have a lump in my throat about getting my manager to go ahead with this. I'm a wimp. But does $200/hour seem insane or normal?

Or do you have any analytics consultants you think I'd like?

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,929 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:32 AM

100 hours for what? Redoing the site so it's not in Ajax? Or just fixing the Google Analytics?

200 an hour seems normal if it were going to be a few hours to do. But to me it seems high for something that is going to take 100 hours. But I'm still not really sure what it is they're doing. $20,000 for recoding the site may not be unreasonable. But $20,000 for making some Google analytics changes does sound high to me (without knowing all the facts).

#5 eteare

eteare

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jan 28 2011, 08:32 AM) View Post
100 hours for what? Redoing the site so it's not in Ajax? Or just fixing the Google Analytics?

200 an hour seems normal if it were going to be a few hours to do. But to me it seems high for something that is going to take 100 hours. But I'm still not really sure what it is they're doing. $20,000 for recoding the site may not be unreasonable. But $20,000 for making some Google analytics changes does sound high to me (without knowing all the facts).

Just fixing GA, not actually doing anything development-wise, except making sure the GA js is correct.
I am looking for the following:
a. solve the "other" issue, which comes up as the top page in top content.
b. make sure GA is implemented correctly in the ajax, might solve the above issue
c. and on all subdomains, is GA implemented correctly? an audit of the site to make sure we are getting credit for every PV
d. install first-touch analytics (a la Will Critchlow at Distilled, you know what I mean? )
e. making sure we are making the most of data available in GA.I have set up a bunch of advanced segments and custom reports, but I am sure there is more.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,929 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:02 PM

Honestly, I just don't know.

It sounds like tricky stuff to do, but that sounds like so much money. But I don't want to sell the expert short. Presumably you're sure of their knowledge and expertise in this area and that they can definitely solve the problem?

#7 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:55 PM

Like Jill, without knowing all the facts I can't really advise you one way or the other on a $20,000 spend but have you looked at possible solutions people have published on the Web?

For example, while I cannot vouch for this method, in 2009 John Barlow wrote detailed instructions on how to modify your Google Analytics Javascript embed to track AJAX. Have your Web developer look at both the article and the comment with an additional tip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!