• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Hosting In Uk For Overseas Audience

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kris

Kris

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:18 PM

Hi

I am a developer and I have 2 customers who are looking to gain some exposure overseas via Google.

One customer wishes to be found on Google UK SERP's and also Australia.

The other company wants to be found in China as well as the UK.

The issue I have with the China one is that i'm not totally sure what the whole Google/China censorship sitauation is and I have been told I should be using www.baidu.com to test if the website will rank well in China.

Anyway, my question is...

Do I need to host the website on both UK and Australia/China based ISP's or can they both be hosted here in the UK and still be found on www.google.com.au and www.baidu.com ?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Kris

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,946 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:07 AM

Why not simply promote the pages in those areas rather than, relying upon the vagiaries of / hoping for results from, search engines?

Traffic from search engine referrals should be considered the butter for the bread rather than being the bread itself.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:58 AM

You can also set the target countries for Google via their Google Webmaster Tools account.

#4 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:22 PM

Some commercial ventures don't have a budget sufficient to promote in foreign parts and have to rely very heavily on Organic Search Results.

Jills suggestion is the way to go, but I suspect if hosting in the UK it would be more successful with a .com than a .co.uk.
No evidence for that, just an instinctive hunch.

#5 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:31 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jan 28 2011, 11:58 AM) View Post
You can also set the target countries for Google via their Google Webmaster Tools account.

One problem with that is that Webmaster Tools only allows a given site to target one country at a time (or none at all). Given that Kris's customer want to target both the UK and Australia, that would be difficult.

Perhaps the solution would to create two sites, one for each country. That way, you'd also be able to localise the language, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!