• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Seo/sem Requirements List For A Cms

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:36 PM

Hi Gang,

Its been a while. I am working on putting together an SEO/SEM list of requirements for a new CMS my company is purchasing. Below is a list of requirements I am working on as a representative of Marketing in this process. So, if there are any I have missed or some you want to add. All comments and suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance.

DJKay
Title Tags, Head Tags, Metas, Alt Attributes - All title tags, heading tags, meta descriptions, and alternative attributes for images should be automatically populated, but must be manually editable. Title Tag no more than 70 characters. Meta Description no more than 150 characters.

Directory structures - Directory structures should contain multiple variables, have the ability to use keywords (separated by dashes) in filenames, and not rely on the use of session IDs for tracking. [Generate Search Friendly URLs]

Java script & CSS file storage - Lengthy JavaScript and CSS code should be stored in external files.

Redirects - There are two (major) types of redirects. A 302 Temporary and a 301 Permanent redirect. Redirects should default to permanent (301) status and be capable of being modified.

Robot txt man. & control - If we have staging areas or places that shouldn't be indexed by search engines, that needs to be controlled in the robots.txt file.

Nofollow & noindex - Nofollow and noindex attributes should be supported site wide for use on an as-needed basis.

Social media widgets and/or plug-ins - Easily allow for adding social media widgets and/or plug-ins.

W3C compliance & DOCTYPE - All templates ought to be W3C compliant and employ valid DOCTYPE declarations.

Site maps - XML and HTML sitemaps should be set up to automatically prompt the addition of newly created content.

User generated content capabilities/blogging module - Readily allow for the addition of user generated content via a built in modular blogging program or ‘hooks’ into popular blog platforms such as Wordpress, Movable Type.

Analytics - Ability to integrate with Google Analytics & Flurry. This assumes we will be using these applications. For future, would like to know the following list works as well: Clicktracks, , IndexTools, Omniture SiteCatalyst, Unica Affinium NetInsight, WebSideStory HBX Analytics, and WebTrends.

Pagination systems - Allow for most advantageous displays of pagination systems.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,775 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:29 PM

Title Tag no more than 70 characters. Meta Description no more than 150 characters.

Why and why?

I would also add the ability for certain CMS users be able to add code to the HEAD or BODY as necessary. Every now and then some script or something you want needs some code added to the site and not all CMS's have the ability to add this. You don't want to have to go to a developer each time (ideally).

#3 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jan 24 2011, 07:29 PM) View Post
Why and why?

I would also add the ability for certain CMS users be able to add code to the HEAD or BODY as necessary. Every now and then some script or something you want needs some code added to the site and not all CMS's have the ability to add this. You don't want to have to go to a developer each time (ideally).

Hi Jill,

I stole this list from articles...Yes, title tags are and art and a science, so some are longer and some are shorter...I will take it out.

Thanks for your other tidbit as well. See you at the next SEMNE Meeting..

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,460 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:59 AM

Nofollow & noindex - Nofollow and noindex attributes should be supported site wide for use on an as-needed basis.

nofollow & noindex are values for the content attribute of the "robots" meta element

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!