• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Meta Description Not Showing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hugomartin

hugomartin

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:20 AM

Added a Meta description to my website a while back and when i do a search my website (index page) shows with a diffrent text as a description, why google shows a direffrent text instead of the one showing in my description tag?

please help

George

#2 Tiggerito

Tiggerito

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:20 AM

Google has several sources it may use for its "snippet" in the search results. It will choose what to use based on what it feels is relevant to the query made.

There is a good chance Google decided your description is not relevant so looked for something in the pages content that was.

What was the query you made to find your page?

Your description is very short as well. Google may have decided its better to use a longer snippet of text from the contents.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:59 AM

It's because Google uses a different description for your site for each search query. If your site showed up in the search results for a phrase that was contained within your meta description tag, it would likely show up. If it's not in there, but in the content of the page somewhere, that would likely show up instead.

Please read my Meta Description articles for more info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.