• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Robots.txt & Disallowed Frames

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 etzeppy

etzeppy

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:15 PM

I am working with an old web site that is based on frames. If I disallow a frame page in robots.txt will the content of that frame still be indexed with the frameset?

For example, index.html is a frameset that loads left.html, top.html, and main.html to build a full page for display. I want the full frameset for index.html to be indexed but I do not want left.html, top.html, & main.html to appear as separate pages in Google. I know I can disallow those pages in robots.txt, but will doing so stop Google from indexing the full frameset of index.html?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:23 PM

I don't think it will index them that way. Why not do it via server side includes instead?

#3 etzeppy

etzeppy

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:30 PM

I'll have to look into server side includes.

If I add a meta noindex tag to the frame pages, does that tag get passed to the frameset or reside only on the individual frame page?

#4 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:37 PM

The alternative is to allow them to be indexed and utilise one of the many JavaScript re-loaders to take care of things should anyone click through to left.html or top.html etc.

#5 etzeppy

etzeppy

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE(piskie @ Jan 17 2011, 12:37 PM) View Post
The alternative is to allow them to be indexed and utilise one of the many JavaScript re-loaders to take care of things should anyone click through to left.html or top.html etc.

Good point and I have added a java re-loader. I was just being obsessive and trying to keep the index clean too.

#6 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:46 PM

The top and left files in all probability don't have the sort of content that would be anywhere other than way way down in the SERPs, so although indexed, they are unlikely to get many if any displays and click-throughs.

#7 etzeppy

etzeppy

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:34 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I will just use a java re-loader for the frame pages and not worry too much about it if I end up with a few extra entries in the indexes. This is an old site anyway and it might get redesigned later this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!