• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Host Blocking Access Via Dedicated Ip. Are Se Spiders Affected Too?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Blueray

Blueray

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:40 PM

Hi
I'm moving my site to a new host. I know that many people claim that a dedicated IP gives you nothing when it comes to SEO but I'm not putting this subject up for debate. I paid for a dedicated ip, but my new host blocks direct access through it meaning if I enter the IP instead of the site URL i get nothing. They claim that Google's crawlers aren't affected by this block (as they use A records and not a web borwser - forgive my ignorance but I don't really know what that means so I may have gotten the name wrong) and so the crawlers do see my site as one with a dedicated IP. Is that true?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,987 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:48 AM

Unless you want your site to show up for its IP and not its domain name, then you should be fine.

#3 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:38 PM

To more directly answer your question, the crawlers will be able to associate your domain name with that IP address and as Jill said you will be fine. Your hosting provider is correct.

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,038 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:37 PM

Search Engines have been fine with CNAME (alias) records and the host header field in a HTTP request since around 1997/1998.

But I not sure what the mean by
as they use A records and not a web borwser
. Because web browsers and SE User agents (crawlers) use the same system (DNS) and protocol (HTTP) to locate and access web servers.

#5 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:16 AM

QUOTE(Blueray)
so the crawlers do see my site as one with a dedicated IP. Is that true?

Yes, if your site has a dedicated IP, crawlers can recognise it as such in two ways:

1) They won't come across another site with the same IP
2) They can do a reverse DNS lookup on the IP and find only your site

QUOTE(chrishirst)
But I not sure what the mean by ...

Chris, I think Blueray simply means that if they put the IP address directly into the browser
(i.e. http: // nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn) then they don't see their Web site ... but if they put their domain name in, they do. This is simply a matter of how the server is configured and has nothing to do with whether or not you have a dedicated IP.

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,038 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE(Alan Perkins @ Jan 11 2011, 02:16 PM) View Post
Yes, if your site has a dedicated IP, crawlers can recognise it as such in two ways:

1) They won't come across another site with the same IP
2) They can do a reverse DNS lookup on the IP and find only your site
Chris, I think Blueray simply means that if they put the IP address directly into the browser ( then they don't see their Web site ... but if they put their domain name in, they do. This is simply a matter of how the server is configured and has nothing to do with whether or not you have a dedicated IP.

Yep, I know that bit.

It was the bit about Google using 'A' records not a web browser.
It simply demonstrates a serious lack of knowledge about DNS generally, If they call a URI/DNS name a "browser". ESPECIALLY if they are supposedly a "hosting company"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!