• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Longtail As Primary Keywords

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MarcP

MarcP

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 04:04 PM

Happy new year to all!

I'm researching a competitive market and I'm coming up with longtail keywords with decent traffic and competition looks like I'm able to compete.

What's the advice for using longtail keywords as primary keywords to build a micro niche site?

Regards,

Marc

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,987 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 04:17 PM

longtail keywords with decent traffic

I think you're confused about what longtail keywords are, since by their very definition, they don't have decent traffic.

The idea is that they receive very little traffic, but in aggregate it can add up to a lot.

You can't research them very well, because longtail keywords won't show up in most keyword research tools since they don't receive enough traffic.

#3 MarcP

MarcP

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:45 AM

Hi Jill I'm using a program called market samurai and using longtail keyword function. What it's producing is keywords with seot traffic of 50/day and competition looks like I can compete. I realize that if I was #1 on google 50/day maybe not what others are looking for however it seems good for me for a micro niche site.

Regards,

Marc

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,987 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:00 AM

A keyword that actually does get 50 searches a day would not typically be considered longtail by the true definition of the word.

That said, it sounds like a good one for you. Those types of phrases are much better than longtail ones, imo.

I'm not a fan of microsites, however. Why not create a page or two that provide information which naturally uses the keyword phrase (plus other related ones) within your current site?

#5 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:12 AM

A folder/directory beats a micro site for me any day.

#6 BackLinksVault

BackLinksVault

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE(piskie @ Jan 3 2011, 09:12 AM) View Post
A folder/directory beats a micro site for me any day.

I've noticed the same thing. I had a minisite (very mini, 1 page haha) that was getting 2000 uniques daily organically. Now I notice other websites with more authority have added subdomains/directories and are squeezing me out; granted I haven't done much link building but I see the trend. Like Jill said, focusing on longtail might not be the best idea, but if you do that a great technique I found is to start typing in Google.

I.e. best "your niche" in

As you type in Google they try and "guess" your next move, which is based on statistics from other users, i.e. the more people that search for something with those letter combinations, the more it shows up. This means you can reverse engineer longtails that actually get searches.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,987 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:55 AM

As you type in Google they try and "guess" your next move, which is based on statistics from other users, i.e. the more people that search for something with those letter combinations, the more it shows up. This means you can reverse engineer longtails that actually get searches.

Again, as I said above, those searches wouldn't be true "long tails" in that case since the definition of long tail is that they are RARELY searched upon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!