• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

New To Stumbleupon

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mhoram

Mhoram

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:47 PM

Recently one of my blog posts was stumbled once, and then liked repeatedly, and now accounts for about 97% of the traffic to my blog. Since my blog has 300+ posts, I started thinking about how nice it would be to get that kind of traffic to most of them, so I thought maybe I better see what this StumbleUpon thing is all about. I created an account, followed some people who liked my blog post, and started stumbling and liking and reviewing other web pages. I've also "discovered" and reviewed several (not on my sites).

However, all the pages I discover sit there with one view -- my original one -- even weeks later. I think I write up decent reviews, and I pick out a few suitable tags. Yet no one ever views them. It's not that people are viewing them and not liking them; they're never getting them at all when they click the Stumble! button. That doesn't make sense to me; how can StumbleUpon find out if people like the page if it never shows it to anyone new? I realize a lot of stuff out there gets stumbled, but I'd think they'd at least show each page to one other person to get some kind of feedback.

I know about the proactive stuff you can do to build your SU network, like following people and trying to get them to follow you, sending stumbles directly to your friends, and so on. I've started doing those things, but it seems strange that you'd have to do them before getting any views at all. I know when I stumble for random pages, I get pages that were discovered by people who don't have many followers or an involved profile.

Does it just take time? Should I just keep discovering and reviewing pages, and figure it'll take care of itself? At this point, I'm afraid to stumble my own pages, because what's the point if they sit there with 1 view? Better to leave them alone for now and wait until I see my other discoveries getting views, and figure maybe someone with some "pull" will stumble them in the meantime.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,956 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:21 PM

The point of StumbleUpon is to show mostly the outstanding posts from a blog. It's not a place where every single one of your posts should "go hot." Your original one went hot that someone else submitted, because it was likely outstanding. Recreating outstanding is not easy as you've seen!

I don't personally submit to StumbleUpon, but have had a few of my outstanding posts go hot there and receive a lot of traffic as well.

#3 Mhoram

Mhoram

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:22 PM

Thanks, Jill. But all my posts are outstanding! smile.gif Well, no, but I think there are some other good ones that could take off -- if StumbleUpon ever showed them to anyone.

I guess for now I'll just put a stumble button on my blog for others to use, and continue stumbling good pages elsewhere to build up my SU cred or whatever it is that determines how much it shows your discoveries to others. I used to have one of those 'share on any of a hundred social media services' buttons on my blog, but no one ever used it, so now I'm trying to keep it to a few prominent buttons -- Twitter, Facebook, and SU at this point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!