• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Multiple Websites To Target Niche Markets?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MangoSango

MangoSango

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 12:51 PM

Lets say I own a clothing store for which I already have a website. But I want to target the shoe, pant and shirt markets. Would it be a good idea to start an extra website for each market (shoes, pants and shirts). I would give all websites exclusive content.

How could it possibly harm your SEO? I dont see how Google can have a problem with it or even detect it?

On the positive side, if you can have both your original website and your niche website on the first page for a keyword, you would have twice as much chance of receiving orders.

What is your view on this tactic?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:08 PM

Would it be a good idea to start an extra website for each market (shoes, pants and shirts).

No. Probably not as one comprehensive site is usually better and easier to do. Please see the numerous other threads we have regarding creating multiple websites.

#3 MangoSango

MangoSango

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:01 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Dec 12 2010, 07:08 PM) View Post
No. Probably not as one comprehensive site is usually better and easier to do. Please see the numerous other threads we have regarding creating multiple websites.

Sure, I understand but what if I already had a comprehensive website? This way I could have 2 websites on the first page for very important keywords.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:09 AM

QUOTE(MangoSango @ Dec 13 2010, 05:01 AM) View Post
Sure, I understand but what if I already had a comprehensive website? This way I could have 2 websites on the first page for very important keywords.

You could, but the search engines kind of frown about that since they want to show variety in the results, not one company dominating.

#5 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:34 AM

I could have 2 websites on the first page for very important keywords

That has been one of the biggest single factors driving the evolution of the Google algorithm. Carry on if you think you can fool it to gain an advantage.

#6 MangoSango

MangoSango

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 07:23 AM

QUOTE(piskie @ Dec 14 2010, 08:34 AM) View Post
That has been one of the biggest single factors driving the evolution of the Google algorithm. Carry on if you think you can fool it to gain an advantage.

I understand that is a problem for Google but in all honesty. A LOT of SEO experts promote mini sites to target a niche. Are they wrong? Or is there a right way of doing this?

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:52 AM

QUOTE(MangoSango @ Dec 23 2010, 07:23 AM) View Post
I understand that is a problem for Google but in all honesty. A LOT of SEO experts promote mini sites to target a niche. Are they wrong? Or is there a right way of doing this?

Correction. A lot of SEO spammers recommend this tactic.

That said, since Google sucks big time these days it works great, so you might as well take advantage of it. Just note that one day they may again decide they don't like this technique and torch your sites.

#8 MangoSango

MangoSango

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:41 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Dec 23 2010, 04:52 PM) View Post
Correction. A lot of SEO spammers recommend this tactic.

That said, since Google sucks big time these days it works great, so you might as well take advantage of it. Just note that one day they may again decide they don't like this technique and torch your sites.

I understand. How likely it is that Google will go as far as to torch all the websites? They dont even degrade a website with duplicate content, in the best case they wont show both websites on the same page. But then again, with Google you never know what gets into their head in the future...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.