• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Australian Site Hosted On A Us Server

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cyphix

cyphix

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 05:12 PM

Hi guys..... I'm just wondering if I hosted an Australian based site on a US server..... would this affect the results in Google or Bing with regards to my position in the results when searched by an Australian user?

I've noticed Google will a lot of the time will try & show local results higher for the country you are searching from (especially when using your local Google site), even when not restricting the results to a certain country. The domain in question does end with ".com.au"; so would this be enough to alert Google that the site is Australia based? ...or should I host the site in Australia too?

I just prefer to host it in the US as I already have a server there & the US servers are a lot cheaper than over here.

Thanks for any advice! smile.gif

#2 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:27 AM

If you log into Google Webmaster Tools and have it authenticate your site, you'll see that there's an option to tell it which country you are targeting. That should solve your problem.

That said, if any of the experts here tell you anything different, they're right and I'm wrong.

#3 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:21 AM

This is similar to the situation with UK sites.
I find .co.uk (and other UK domains) sites performs equally well when hosted in the US and UK. Whereas non UK domains need to be hosted in the UK.
I find simply relying on Google Webmaster Geo targetting can be hit and miss.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,929 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:39 AM

Lots of info on this in our International SEM Issues Forum were I'm moving this.

#5 cyphix

cyphix

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:22 PM

Thanks. Well after posting this thread I decided to do some searches for terms related to my field & check the location of the sites that came up on the first page..... many of the .com.au domains were actually hosted on US servers... so no worry there I guess smile.gif

#6 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:35 AM

Just to add to my previous post ...

Given that you've got "au" in your domain name, that would trump what I said about Google Webmaster Tools (GWT). I guess the same would apply to "uk" domains.

My own experience was based on a .COM site that was hosted in Canada. After I went to GWT and told it I was targeting US visitors, the traffic increased substantially.

#7 cyphix

cyphix

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:25 AM

QUOTE(Mikl @ Dec 13 2010, 08:35 PM) View Post
Just to add to my previous post ...

Given that you've got "au" in your domain name, that would trump what I said about Google Webmaster Tools (GWT). I guess the same would apply to "uk" domains.

My own experience was based on a .COM site that was hosted in Canada. After I went to GWT and told it I was targeting US visitors, the traffic increased substantially.

Thanks for that info! smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!