• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Where Have All The Advertisers Gone?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#16 skipj

skipj

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:39 AM

I don't post here very often, but topics like this really get me going so please let me add my 2 cents....pardon the streaming format.....

Absolutely - Adwords has gotten too complicated for busy small business owners or anyone else who cannot devote a serious effort to get up to speed.
Absolutely - it's in Google's (short term) interest to make it so.

Ages ago, before you could ban entire sectors, I complained to Adsense (not Adwords) and got those crummy weight loss ads banned from my site. Banning is good.

Adsense ad quality for my site is okay, even better with good local ad quality. But for me revenue per Adsense click is down since the stock market crash.

Negative keywords are a must in an Adwords search campaign and can mess you up in an Adwords content campaign so that is one of the reasons why those types of campaigns must be separated at the campaign level. This is a little tricky to do but, yes, make the effort. For instance, quality scores are not displayed in content-only Adwords campaigns. You have to find a workaround.

The first negative search keyword I would add to a Learn Online Latin campaign is "free". The second would be "Latino", to prevent Google from exercising its tendency to expand broad matches. I have 1,200 negative words in my main Adwords search campaign, blocking out visitors who are not potential customers. I don't want to pay for clicks that won't result in a sale. Overall, I think broad matches with lots of negatives is more efficient than exact or phrase match types. That said, those oher types need to be included to try to drive cost per clicks down. I wouldn't put any negative words in a content campaign, but that's another story for another post.

A quality score of 7/10 is indeed quite good and I wish I had more of those. But a good QS is only half of the story. The other half is that the keyword has to have a high rate of *converting* visitors into customers. And you have to have the tools in place to measure that and the tools are available.

Adwords tools you must have: Adwords conversion codes (more java) on your shopping cart sales confirmation pages to pin conversions to your keywords and your ads, Google Analytics (java based) to track visitor behavior, website logs to catch visitors with java not installed and to keep Adwords conversion code stats honest, Adwords search phrase reports to see what new phrases your visitors used to trigger your ads and so to gather more goodies for your negative words file. Don't fear the java; if you can construct a website you can add the boilerplate java code that Adwords offers you.

Yes, a rapid rise in keyword cost per click may come from a sudden drop in quality score. But there are times when paying a high click price is acceptable from a business point of view....

You would be in the black with a super high click price of $2.00 for a $20 sale if your cost of that item was $10 and if *all* of those clicks resulted in a sale. Or even if 40%+ of those clicks resulted in a sale. But you would only know all that, and could only achieve that goal, if you employed the tools mentioned above.

Getting lots of clicks is easy and expensive and unprofitable since so many people are click-happy. Blocking out clicks that don't convert into sales is the other half of the story. Those tools are a must.

The Adwords content (now "display") network is actually a potential gold mine, with much much cheaper clicks, but it requires even more dedication than the search network to get it right. And it takes a different mindset entirely, that's why most people give up and turn it off. I don't blame them.

Example: if you include the phrase "low prices and great selection" in your ad, you do more than tell people that you offer a good deal. You also limit paying for clicks from people who are looking for something for free. Sneaky, eh?

Whew!

Hope this helps.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!