• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Wordpress Seo?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 kynduvme

kynduvme

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:51 AM

Can anyone recommend an SEO Plug in for wordpress?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:08 AM

What sort of things would an SEO plug-in do?

The only ones I like are those that enable you to add a custom Title and Description. There are a few of those that work nicely.

#3 carlosmarruffo

carlosmarruffo

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:11 PM

All-in-one SEO pack for the URLs, titles, descriptions, etc, and the XML sitemap plugin.

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:59 PM

Can anyone recommend an SEO Plug in for wordpress?

Jeeze, stay AWAY from all the SEO plugins for Wordpress. You don't need them.

Wordpress -- straight out of the box -- will let you optimize your site. Just use keyword-rich URLs, ping the search engines, include Tag/Category pages, publish only summaries to your RSS feeds (and tags/categories), and make sure you archive each post on its own URL. You can already add custom titles and descriptions without using plugins.

Don't encumber yourself with useless SEO crap plugins that add absolutely no value.

#5 TheGrunt

TheGrunt

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:04 PM

I still love ALL in ONE SEO. It does allow you to change the title and descriptions. I use it for that reason. I know people that like the Platinum SEO as well.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ Dec 8 2010, 01:59 PM) View Post
You can already add custom titles and descriptions without using plugins.

Are you sure about that Michael? I think you need to do some custom coding to be able to do that. I was just in a site with no plug-in and didn't see an obvious way to customize titles and meta descriptions until I added a plug-in.

#7 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Dec 8 2010, 01:02 PM) View Post
Are you sure about that Michael? I think you need to do some custom coding to be able to do that. I was just in a site with no plug-in and didn't see an obvious way to customize titles and meta descriptions until I added a plug-in.

Nope. I change titles all the time. Meta descriptions can be entered through the custom field form below the main post form. The only real advantage an SEO plugin would give you over that is it creates the custom field for you.

Of course, Wordpress didn't always do this. But over the past 2-3 years Matt Cutts has given great advice to the Wordpress developers and they have followed his suggestions very well. It's virtually unnecessary now to use an SEO plugin.

Many people just got comfortable using them.

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:59 PM

Nope. I change titles all the time. Meta descriptions can be entered through the custom field form below the main post form.

I'm thinking that it might depend on the theme your using. Because the one I was just in the other day didn't have that for sure, and it was the latest version of WP.

#9 TheGrunt

TheGrunt

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:38 PM

I agree Jill, it does depend on the theme. No matter what, these SEO plugins make it very easy.

#10 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 04:57 PM

I can't argue against that point, Jill. I'm sure there are themes that turn off all sorts of stuff. But the default theme for Wordpress 3.0 is Twenty Ten. I have that installed on my backup SEO blog (too long a story to explain here) and it still allows you to set up custom fields, although admittedly the option is not as visible as it is in the SEO Theory blog (which I believe is using Thesis).

So, as far as what Wordpress will do for you out of the box, if you allow me to qualify that slightly by adding that you have to at least use their default theme, it's SEO-ready for you.

#11 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:13 AM

and it still allows you to set up custom fields

Yes, you can always set up custom fields. But you have to know what you're doing in order to set up custom title tags and descriptions. Which is exactly what the plug-ins do for you. (And what Thesis is doing for you site.)

No big deal to get a plug-in for this sort of thing. If you're using Thesis, Michael, it's the same as having plug-ins, so I am not sure why you're so against them!

#12 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Dec 10 2010, 06:13 AM) View Post
Yes, you can always set up custom fields. But you have to know what you're doing in order to set up custom title tags and descriptions. Which is exactly what the plug-ins do for you. (And what Thesis is doing for you site.)

No big deal to get a plug-in for this sort of thing. If you're using Thesis, Michael, it's the same as having plug-ins, so I am not sure why you're so against them!

Because I have seen many, many people visit SEO forums through the past couple of years and complain that their sites were not indexed, only to find upon looking more closely that they were using SEO plugins and/or themes that were doing dumb things.

Someone who has no clue about how to do all this stuff could certainly benefit from a plug-in or theme that makes good choices -- but so many of them make a mixture of good and bad choices that living with someone else's assumptions is, to me, not an optimal strategy.

I've been called a control-freak for many (probably good) reasons, but I think this goes beyond one's compelling inner need to be in control of a situation. When you don't know enough about SEO to do it yourself, installing some SEO plug-in is equivalent to playing Russian Roulette.

We don't need customized titles and meta descriptions that badly that we have to become dependent upon plug-ins. Many blogs do just fine without the bells and whistles.

#13 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:47 AM

We don't need customized titles and meta descriptions that badly that we have to become dependent upon plug-ins.

That I disagree with. Customized Title tags are critical. If it takes a plug-in for someone to easily do it, then they should for sure do it.

#14 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:27 PM

Titles are just one of out 200+ factors. I can take 'em or leave 'em, because I've had to deal with too many clients who wouldn't let me touch their pretty little pages. No plugins required to customize Wordpress titles, though.

#15 kynduvme

kynduvme

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:04 AM

In what universe do you think Title Tags are not important in SEO? I agree with Jill on this, they are critical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.