• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Google Ad Words And Re-directing?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:30 PM

Hi I was wondering does anyone know if this is allowed by google - Pay Per Click/Ad Words?

On the green url of the ad words campaign, can I enter a URL that is then re-directed using .htaccess - will google mind that?

(I know that I can test but whilst I do that wondering if anyone has any idea?)

The reason for this is to make a simple catchy URL and then re-direct to a slightly more ugly one - (its an asthetic thing)

So the ad words link reads: www.mysite.com/buy-me and the .htaccess sends to www.mysite.com/this/is/the/link.html

#2 Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:37 AM

You can use a different display URL (same domain), but the one you point actually point to Adwords cannot be redirected. They'll disallow the ads as I understand it.

#3 bossbuild

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:48 AM

Yes, the destination URL must ALWAYS be a real location, and not a re-direct. Google 'frown upon' re-directs (except 301 re-directs for natural listings)

If you download Google's "AdWords Editor" you can actually set a display URL and a separate destination URL (which isn't shown) that way all your adverts will look neat and tidy, but the browser still ends up on the deep-page in your site which is the most relevant to the search query.

You can also add individual destinations for each individual keyword, for example....

You have an ad group called "trousers" which contains one advert.

The adverts destination URL is www.yoursite.com/trousers

Your list of keywords is
trousers UK
mens trousers
ladies trousers
trouser pants
jogging trousers

And these would all go to www.yoursite.com/trousers

However, you can set the destination URL for each keyword individually so that your visitor reaches the right page for each search term, like this.....

trousers -www.yoursite.com/trousers
trousers UK - www.yoursite.com/trousers
mens trousers - www.yoursite.com/trousers/mens-trousers
ladies trousers - www.yoursite.com/trousers/ladies-trousers
trouser pants - www.yoursite.com/trousers
jogging trousers www.yoursite.com/sportswear/sports-...jogging-bottoms

If you implement this to your advertising campaign, your conversion rate should increase tenfold!

I hope that helps, if you need anything explaining a bit better, then just PM me, im happy to help smile.gif

All the best

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.
No new posts or registrations allowed.