• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Posting On Old Forums / Blogs

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MangoSango

MangoSango

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:21 AM

A SEO guru told me to search on the most important keywords in Google and submit my website ony every forum / blog / ... I come across (the first 5000 results). In these results there are many blogs and forums dating from 2003-2008. Do you think Google wont find it a problem? Will it hurt my rankings rather then improving it?

Please note that I never spam. I always try to make a decent contribution to the subject.

Thank you.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,929 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:38 AM

The SEO guru, is actually an SEO spammer.

Don't post on forums for SEO purposes, it's silly and it's spam.

#3 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:10 AM

It's also a heck of a lot of work. You'd have to register with all those forums, go through the authentication process, and establish yourself as a member so that you can make posts without them being manually approved by a moderator.

Personally, I would put the effort into developing quality content for my own sites.

#4 MangoSango

MangoSango

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Dec 6 2010, 02:38 PM) View Post
The SEO guru, is actually an SEO spammer.

Don't post on forums for SEO purposes, it's silly and it's spam.

I will always contribute to the topic with my expertise on the job. So I dont consider it spamming.

QUOTE(Mikl @ Dec 6 2010, 04:10 PM) View Post
It's also a heck of a lot of work. You'd have to register with all those forums, go through the authentication process, and establish yourself as a member so that you can make posts without them being manually approved by a moderator.

Personally, I would put the effort into developing quality content for my own sites.

That can go fast... I'm working on the content part aswell.

But again, would it hurt my rankings to post on older forums / blogs?

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,087 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:32 PM

Oh, the spammers have automated all that -- forcing forum operators like me and Jill to invest extra time and effort in fighting their spam. Some forum operators have actually set up a resource, stopforumspam.com, where you can get an API key and both report and download the IP addresses of known spammers.

The spammers are using proxy servers to create their faux forum accounts and blog comments. There are also Wordpress plug-ins to help block these idiots.

There have been a growing number of reports from small businesses who hired these so-called "gurus" to build links for them where the businesses ended up having to ask Google to forgive them and lift penalties.

You really don't want to build links through forums and blogs. You'll get a lot of people angry at you and you'll risk incurring a penalty.

#6 MangoSango

MangoSango

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:54 PM

I thought it was completely ok. Then, how do you get quality and related links to your website? I thought this was be´ng done by most SEO people.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,929 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:31 PM

I thought this was be´ng done by most SEO people.

No, it's not done by any professional SEOs. It's done by spammers.

If you want to get links, have something worth linking to and then market the hell out of it.

#8 MangoSango

MangoSango

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:04 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Dec 6 2010, 10:31 PM) View Post
No, it's not done by any professional SEOs. It's done by spammers.

If you want to get links, have something worth linking to and then market the hell out of it.

In all honesty, I work in a small niche market within a small language area. The chance of anyone linking to my articles is extremely small. You just cannot compair it with wide topics such as SEO.

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,929 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:42 PM

You probably don't even need but a handful of links then.

#10 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,087 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE(MangoSango @ Dec 6 2010, 02:04 PM) View Post
In all honesty, I work in a small niche market within a small language area. The chance of anyone linking to my articles is extremely small. You just cannot compair it with wide topics such as SEO.

Marketing is all about creating visibility and demand. Find what people are interested in and show them how what you have to offer is relevant to those interests. Nothing will be relevant to ALL interests, so that makes your job easier.

The best and easiest way to market yourself on the Web today is to create a blog and post articles to it every day. You should write about whatever makes you feel passionate (with respect to your business). Make sure the blog pings ping-o-matic and other ping servers. Use Twitterfeed or a similar tool to post links to your Twitter and Facebook accounts. Engage with people who leave comments on your blog.

Be an authority that people refer to.

#11 MangoSango

MangoSango

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:53 AM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ Dec 7 2010, 01:10 AM) View Post
Marketing is all about creating visibility and demand. Find what people are interested in and show them how what you have to offer is relevant to those interests. Nothing will be relevant to ALL interests, so that makes your job easier.

The best and easiest way to market yourself on the Web today is to create a blog and post articles to it every day. You should write about whatever makes you feel passionate (with respect to your business). Make sure the blog pings ping-o-matic and other ping servers. Use Twitterfeed or a similar tool to post links to your Twitter and Facebook accounts. Engage with people who leave comments on your blog.

Be an authority that people refer to.

So you would totally advocate against building practices and only focus on content?

#12 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,087 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE(MangoSango @ Dec 8 2010, 02:53 AM) View Post
So you would totally advocate against building practices and only focus on content?

You need some links for your site and some types of link building are perfectly fine. But if you think you have to spend most of your time acquiring links, you're going about this in the least efficient way possible.

Give people something to link to, make that content visible, and then when you feel compelled to ask for links you at least have something to talk about. But don't go running around the Web droping links on blogs and forums. Most of them won't last and of those that don't get deleted the majority won't pass value.

So why would you want to spend your time doing something so unproductive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!