• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Images In Google's New Serps

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mikl

Mikl

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:40 AM

In Google's recent redesigned results page, thumbnail images now appear next to the snippet text for some sites - but not all. I'm trying to understand how Google decides when to show a thumbnail, but I can't see any logic in it.

Case in point: I have a page that contains a recipe for a dinner dish. The page includes a photo of the dish in question. The photo's filename is the same as the name of the dish, as is its Alt tag. The page is generally optimised for that same name.

This page appears in the top three results in the Google search page - but without the image itself appearing. Other sites, which appear just above or below my site, do show an image thumbnail. But unlike my page, the images on these sites don't have meaningful names, and the Alt text is either missing, or is something generic like "picture submitted by user".

So why does Google choose to show their images and not mine?

The reason I am asking this is that I assume that, if people are looking for a recipe, they are more likely to click through to a page where they know they can see a picture of the end product. (Is this a valid assumption?)

Thanks for any comments.

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,549 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:50 PM

It may just be coincidence, but all of the recipes I'm seeing with images next to their snippets also have reviews associated with them. I'm seeing a few with images and without the reviews mentioned in the snippets, but when I click through to the page, there are the reviews.

#3 Mikl

Mikl

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:40 AM

QUOTE(qwerty @ Dec 3 2010, 02:50 PM) View Post
It may just be coincidence, but all of the recipes I'm seeing with images next to their snippets also have reviews associated with them.

Well I'll be durned. I'm seeing the same thing. Surely, must be coincidence?

It certainly doesn't make me want to start accepting reviews of my recipes. That's the last thing I want on my site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!