• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Site Lost Rankings With Title Change

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 PaulB

PaulB

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:44 AM

One of my stores lost its ranking 10 days ago - and I think its because I (stupidly) thought I would put in singular keywords and as well as duplicate in the homepage title.

eg. Previous title: Garden Sheds, Metal Sheds, Plastic Sheds | ShedsRus

changed to :

New title: Garden Sheds, Metal Sheds, Plastic Sheds | ShedsRus | Garden Shed, Metal Shed, Plastic Shed

so since this change the site disappeared... ie down to the depths of the 700/800s.

I put this down to keyword spamming the title (Should have known better)

Naturally I changed this back as soon as I realised... but does anyone know how long it takes for Google to re-index and let you out of the dungeon/penalty?

Paul

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,210 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:47 AM

There's really no way to know if your ranking problem was caused from the Title tag or not.

If it was, and you changed it back, then within a couple of days it should work itself out.

#3 PaulB

PaulB

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:26 AM

Well the only other thing I can put it down to... is there are some incoming links to my root domain (seen in Webmaster tools) that end in %20.

eg. www.mysite.com/%20

Normally I would not expect any inbound links to effect rankings - but these links show up in GWT as a 404 on the root domain.

It reports in "Crawl Errors" that www.mysite.com returns 404 (not found)

So it looks like my main domain isn't available.. but the actual inbound link has a space "%20" after it.

weird I know.. and I would never normally expect this to upset my ranking... but who knows... could this be the exception?

Edited by PaulB, 29 November 2010 - 10:34 AM.

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,546 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:38 AM

weird I know.. and I would never normally expect this to upset my ranking... but who knows... could this be the exception?

Change it back and see if it "bounces" back.

#5 PaulB

PaulB

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Nov 29 2010, 03:38 PM) View Post
Change it back and see if it "bounces" back.

Would love to.. but its an inbound link from someone else.

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,546 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:45 AM

but its an inbound link from someone else.
What is?? The title element??

#7 PaulB

PaulB

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Nov 29 2010, 04:45 PM) View Post
What is?? The title element??

no the inbound link is www.mysite.com/%20 this generates a 404 and Google is reporting this (in GWT) as www.mysite.com is not found.

#8 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,673 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 01:15 PM

Those bad links are probably just the result of someone accidentally hitting the space bar before closing a link to your site: <a href="url "> instead of <a href="url">. Unless they're the only links to your site that Google knew about, or they happen to be coming from an incredibly powerful page like the home page of a major university, it's not going to cause all of your rankings to tank.

Then again, do you know where these links are coming from? How many of them are there? If a bunch of new links showed up at once, all of them with the same minor error in the code, I'd consider the possibility that they're all from one entity -- someone with a network of sites -- maybe someone with a network of sites who accepts money for links...

It reports in "Crawl Errors" that www.mysite.com returns 404 (not found)

Now that's the sort of issue that can cause rankings to drop. Check your log files to see if/when googlebot hit a 404 when it requested mysite.com. If it happened, it's probably just a matter of the bot requesting the URL again and getting a 200 response to bring you back.

#9 PaulB

PaulB

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 06:28 PM

Querty - thanks for your advice...

but the 404 error is reported by the crawler hitting a 404 because its following those links ... (www.mysite.com/%20 ) the site itself is fine.

#10 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:56 PM

I think you can do a 301-redirect for those kinds of URLs. I'm almost positive that I have done this (but I don't recall if the spaces -- the hex-20 characters -- were trailing in the URL strings).

#11 PaulB

PaulB

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 03:37 AM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ Nov 30 2010, 01:56 AM) View Post
I think you can do a 301-redirect for those kinds of URLs. I'm almost positive that I have done this (but I don't recall if the spaces -- the hex-20 characters -- were trailing in the URL strings).

Michael

Thats exactly what I'm trying todo. I'm trying to work out the syntax for the rewrite rule in htaccess

#12 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE(PaulB @ Nov 30 2010, 12:37 AM) View Post
Michael

Thats exactly what I'm trying todo. I'm trying to work out the syntax for the rewrite rule in htaccess

I think it should just be like this:

Redirect 301 /url%20 /

I don't remember where I did a similar redirect. Sorry. I've worked on a LOT of sites and it may not even have been one of my own. This would be a good time for Ron Carnell to drop by. He's an absolute Wiz at this sort of stuff.

#13 PaulB

PaulB

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ Nov 30 2010, 06:24 PM) View Post
I think it should just be like this:

Redirect 301 /url%20 /

I don't remember where I did a similar redirect. Sorry. I've worked on a LOT of sites and it may not even have been one of my own. This would be a good time for Ron Carnell to drop by. He's an absolute Wiz at this sort of stuff.

thx Michael... closer I think...

its something like either:
CODE
RedirectMatch permanent ^/\%(25)*20 http://www.mysite.com/

OR

RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} ^/\%(25)20
RewriteRule ^/\%(25)20 http://www.mysite.com [R=301,L]

although neither work ;-(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,