• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Php Upgrade - Backward Compatibilty

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:54 PM

Does anyone know of backward compatibity issues likely to be encountered on existing sites if I upgrade the server from PHP Version 4.4.7 to PHP Version 5.2.9 or version 5.3.x

#2 Mooro

Mooro

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:05 AM

I recently wrote a series of PHP applications to run on both 4 and 5, I built it in 5 and retro tested it on 4.

Date based stuff needs a timezone setting in 5 yet I found it puked on 4. There's loads of things it could fall over on.

In the end I went through every single function in the scripts and made a list of them with which versions they work on, I also built an installer to do the grunt work for the end user and that also performs a check for support of all the needed functions.

The best thing I can suggest is to get some PHP 5 web space and upload everything there to test rather than upgrade PHP and possibly have things suddenly stop working.

Good luck.

#3 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:48 AM

Thanks Mooro

Tis a very daunting thing to do with 40+ sites on the server. Also a mammoth task to exercise it all in a mock-up installation. A list of tripwires would have been ideal, but I thought it would be too much to hope for.

What I will probably end up doing is as you suggested. I will build a test site incorporating ALL PHP stuff that I can remember using and upload it to PHP 5.3.x space. Then hopefully, all will be revealed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!