• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Removing External Link From Bounce Rate Stats

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 davidbrett

davidbrett

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:44 AM

Hi All,

Is there any way to remove an external link (i.e. a link to a third party shopping cart) from your Google Analytics bounce rate?

I know we can add the Google analytics code to that particular site but it there any whitelist type function?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:22 AM

You mean so you don't see it when you're reviewing your analytics?

You should be able to use the Google Analytics filters to do that.

#3 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:23 PM

Google's bounce rate calculations are problematic for a lot of reasons. For example, if a visitor right-clicks on a link pointing to your site and opens it in a new browser window, the moment they close that browser window it looks to Google Analytics like they "bounced". The time they spent on your site may have been longer than Analytics can calculate if they didn't visit more than 1 page.

If, in fact, people are going to a shopping cart on another site (even one you control), perhaps loading that site's pages into an iframe on an otherwise empty page that includes the Analytics code would suffice.

I'm not sure telling Google Analytics to ignore certain visits well help you analyze general user behavior.

#4 davidbrett

davidbrett

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:17 AM

Thanks for the replys. I think adding our analytics code on the third party site is the best way to go but it is causing some problems. Iframes aren't a possibility in this case so we will just persevere I think.

Thanks for the feedback.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:25 AM

Curious why you care what the bounce rate is. It's really not the best metric out there as there are so many others that provide more meaningful data. And if you know why it's high in some cases, then I especially am curious why you're concerned about it.

#6 davidbrett

davidbrett

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:05 PM

Hi Jill,

Our primary metric in the area is conversion rate. We also break this down into 3 sub sections specific to our industry so we have good knowledge and data in this area.

However we have a new software product which we think will improve our conversion rate. One of our directors is also looking to also test the impact this will have on the bounce rate but at the moment I can't do this because external sites are distorting the bounce rate. It is not something that I am personally too concerned about but I need to come up with a workable solution if possible. If not then we just stick to our conversion rate tests.

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,103 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 01:26 PM

Biggest problem with "bounce rate" is that the numpty marketers and SEO "expertts" has just discovered it and really really do not understand the significance of any particular value for a page. So they began furiously "writing articles" on why it should be lower!

SO! What if a high value is in your favour?

Take any MFA page (in fact, take them all and have a virtual bonfire biggrin.gif ). You WANT people to arrive and click on an advert 100% bounce rate there then and you get paid for every click. Where's the problem.

Lead generating site, Affiliate/referral product page are the same scenarion. What about "Buy Now" buttons? User finds your product page complete with nice shiny, tempting "Buy Me" button, so they land on page, think "Yes! I want that" clicks the button with credit card at the ready, goes off to your payment processor and pays for said item.
Another 100% "bounce" that earned you money.
Getting the picture yet?

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:22 PM

davidbrett in that case, it does sound like simply filtering out the referrals from the offending site should work for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!