• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

301 Redirects On The Same Domain

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:00 AM

desactivate all the 301

Absolutely do not do that. Recheck that they are still active in fact. If they are then just wait a few weeks and all should be fine.

#17 icosa

icosa

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:45 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jul 6 2011, 07:00 AM) View Post
Absolutely do not do that. Recheck that they are still active in fact. If they are then just wait a few weeks and all should be fine.

Do you think i must maintain them after a year? It's really causing me a nightmare, the number of indexed page increase every day and the SEO in our main domain , specially in fr is being flagged,
I thought after a year i could take out the 301...
Actually i check the 301 on the main folders everyday that redirect rightly. I have just spot if i wrote a wrong url it redirects me as well in aurl for the main domain that still redirects to the right folder,

Checked link:

www.SSSSS.fr/DDDDD/eshop/

Type of redirect: 301 Moved Permanently

Redirected to: www.SSSSS.net/DDDDD/eshop/
this las one is a wrong one that still redirect to the good one

www.SSSS.net/DDDD/YYYY/eshop/

I don't think this cause issues as all redirects works fine, i'm really suffering of this GG indexation .perhaps can i try to contact them?
Thanks
BR,

#18 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:15 PM

It sounds like there are still external links pointing to the old domain. If you can live without their value, then shut down the old domain as you suggested. If you want to preserve some of that value, then do as Jill says and keep the old domain active but make sure the 301-redirects are still correctly implemented.

It could be that you only need some of the 301-redirects at this point. If you check your server logs for the old domain for the past 30-60 days you should get an indication of which URLs are still receiving traffic (either crawlers or visitors) from other links around the Web.

#19 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,938 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:49 AM

Checked link:

www.SSSSS.fr/DDDDD/eshop/

Type of redirect: 301 Moved Permanently

Redirected to: www.SSSSS.net/DDDDD/eshop/
this las one is a wrong one that still redirect to the good one

www.SSSS.net/DDDD/YYYY/eshop/
Assuming I have read that correctly, are you are going through TWO redirects to get to the correct URI?

If so, there is your problem.

#20 icosa

icosa

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:15 AM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Jul 7 2011, 05:49 AM) View Post
Assuming I have read that correctly, are you are going through TWO redirects to get to the correct URI?

If so, there is your problem.

Hi,
in some urls that have several folders , yes, you read it correctly, there are more than 1 redirect, always in 301 but not for the hole site. They were already some months ago when the index on serps was at 0 (any url on the old domain was indexed ).
In some other urls we have only 1 direct, and in some other it can be until 3 redirects.
Should I redircect so all with only one redirect to the home page of new domain instead redirecting page par page?
The really tricky thing is the index is increasing every day, some pages without cache, some other with cache displaying the righ url. (good domain)

@Michael: thanks for your suggestion, actually we are investigating on the logs too. I cleaned up some external backlinks, but it's true there are still a imortant quantity of links to the old domain still "alive". I thought that after one year having them redirected , this will allow the trandfert of linkjuice from external baclkinks and I could remove the old domain .

#21 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,938 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:12 AM

The last time I actually tested redirects SEs would only honour the first redirect, they will of course index the target page IF they find direct links to it (or one redirect)

#22 icosa

icosa

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:28 PM

Just in case this happens again to other, i wanted to share what i did some in august last year to fixed the old domain that had 301 and that came suddenlly reindexed.

I found a solution to remove all the old domain, and it really worked nice , and since then, we haven't found any other issue with old pages from old domain being redirecting.

1- I remove the 301 redirection for the old domain for the home page,
2- I request into GWT inmediatly to remove all the content that were reindexed.
3- Once it worked, it was very fast! , i set up again all the 301 on the old domain.

I was so surprised it worked so quickly, and traffic from main domain recovered quickly . For the traffic comming from France it was seriously heart, (as it was the main duplicated with the old domain reindexed )but it recovered on the 3-4 next months incomming.

So if that can helps someone !
thanks for this nice forum Jill. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!