• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Minimum Time For 301 Redirect

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TimJFowler

TimJFowler

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:13 PM

I am planning to move an established website (3+ years) to a new domain name. I will also be selling the old domain name to another company. I will set up a 301 redirect in .htaccess from the old domain name to the new domain name, but this will not be permanent as a new website will be built on the old domain name.

How long will Google and other search engines take to register the 301 redirect? I will leave the redirect in place as long as possible, but I doubt it would be more than a couple of weeks.

Thanks,
Tim

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 9

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,923 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:21 PM

It could be anywhere from seconds to weeks. There is no way to know until you do it because so many things could affect the process.

Google recommends that for sites with a lot of content, you do the redirection one section at a time, waiting until the SERPs have updated for each section before starting the next.

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,548 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:45 PM

It would be a good idea to contact sites that have linked to your old domain and ask them to point the links to the new one. With some luck, the 301 will work quickly and completely, but don't count on it.

#4 TimJFowler

TimJFowler

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:14 AM

"It would be a good idea to contact sites that have linked to your old domain and ask them to point the links to the new one. With some luck, the 301 will work quickly and completely, but don't count on it."

I've assembled a list of sites with inbound links and will email the site admins to update their link to the new domain.

To reiterate my earlier question - Has anyone done a 301 redirect recently and know how long it took Google to pick it up / show the change?

Thanks,
Tim

P.S. Sorry about miss-categorizing this post initially.

Edited by TimJFowler, 17 November 2010 - 11:19 AM.

#5 TimJFowler

TimJFowler

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:32 AM

I Googled my question again this morning and found this:

Google Webmaster Tools > Site Configuration > Change of address
"If you're planning to move your site to a new domain, use the Change of Address tool to tell Google about your new URL. This will help us update our index faster and smooth the transition for your users."

I haven't been using Google Webmaster tools very long and simply had not noticed this before. This gives me a lot more confidence that Google will recognize the 301 redirect and my website won't disappear from rankings.

FWIW,
Tim

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,775 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:53 AM

Please let us know how that goes for you. I haven't known anyone to try it yet, especially when they couldn't redirect for long, so I'm very curious. I did just recommend it to someone else in a similar situation as you, but they weren't planning on doing it at the moment.

#7 jeepster

jeepster

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:04 AM

Quick related question:
I've about 25 product pages (on a 4,500-page site) for which the URLs are about to change (to grant me edit-access via a Content Management System), with a 301 redirect from the old URLs to the new. I'm not remotely technical, so someone else is doing it for me.
Question: Those 25 pages rank supremely well at the moment. Will the redirect impair that?
Thanks in advance

#8 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,548 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:19 PM

The redirects will pass the link authority of the old pages to the new ones (most of it, anyway). Assuming you give the new pages the titles and on-page content of the old pages, the only thing that will really change will be the URLs. Since I don't know whether the new URLs will be more or less relevant to the pages' keywords, I don't know whether they'll help or hurt, but either way, I doubt they'll make a big difference.

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,775 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:45 PM

Question: Those 25 pages rank supremely well at the moment. Will the redirect impair that?

Along with what Qwerty said, it will also matter if the site architecture and internal linking changed. For instance, if you now bury a page so that it's 3 or 4 clicks away from the main navigation that used to be directly in the navigation, it may have less internal link popularity and thus less weighting by the search engines.

#10 Catz

Catz

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:43 AM

Most likely it will take several weeks, possibly even a couple months for Google to redirect all the pages in your site, because they only redirect individual pages one by one rather than finding a page in the site with a 301 redirect and automatically checking them all for redirects.

Longer than expected but they just want to be sure you allow enough time to crawl all the pages, which is probably why they mention months in some cases. Chances are the less popular pages would be the ones that take the longest to be discovered.

If you have any subdomains, be sure to redirect them too.

Webmaster Help video on this:
http://www.youtube.c.../17/QyQs3tz7ZKo

#11 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:21 PM

QUOTE(Catz @ May 19 2011, 04:43 PM) View Post
Most likely it will take several weeks, possibly even a couple months for Google to redirect all the pages in your site, because they only redirect individual pages one by one rather than finding a page in the site with a 301 redirect and automatically checking them all for redirects.

Longer than expected but they just want to be sure you allow enough time to crawl all the pages, which is probably why they mention months in some cases. Chances are the less popular pages would be the ones that take the longest to be discovered.

If you have any subdomains, be sure to redirect them too.

Webmaster Help video on this:
http://www.youtube.c.../17/QyQs3tz7ZKo

I forget what a great resource Cutts is - really excellent stuff....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!