• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

What's A Good Competition Keyword Analysis Tool?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 QuinnMallory

QuinnMallory

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 04:02 PM

I'm trying to do some research on a number of competitors to see what keywords they're optimizing for and how well their websites are ranking with their optimized keywords.

I've been using a combination of SEO Rush and SEOmoz keyword extractor tools, but in checking it against the actual pages I'm looking at, I'm finding that those particular keywords the tools have extracted or have displayed aren't even in the actual page (so why the tools have extracted them and claimed they are the keywords being used is beyond me). I've extracted various competitors' meta keywords, as well, but have found that they aren't using the terms in the tag anywhere on the actual page (not that I trusted the meta keywords to be an accurate reflection of keywords used, but I pull it when I find it).

Anyone know of a good (cheap or free) competitor keyword analysis tool that provides accurate keywords competitor pages are optimizing for?

~Quinn

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,916 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 04:36 PM

The only way to know what another site is optimizing for is to ask them. How would a tool know?

That said, you can use some tools such as compete.com to find out the phrases that bring the most traffic to a site. Often that would be the same phrases they optimized for.

#3 BBCoach

BBCoach

HR 5

• 402 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 01:23 PM

Early on I used keyword tools and found out what Jill said. How do they know what words are being optimized? They don't.

The best way, but very time intensive, is to search for the words you want to optimize for and analyze those sites in the top 10-20 and make sound SEO adjustments on your site.

#4 QuinnMallory

QuinnMallory

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE(BBCoach @ Nov 13 2010, 10:23 AM) View Post
Early on I used keyword tools and found out what Jill said. How do they know what words are being optimized? They don't.

The best way, but very time intensive, is to search for the words you want to optimize for and analyze those sites in the top 10-20 and make sound SEO adjustments on your site.

Yes, that's true...how would the tool know. I've been using the tools to determine what's appearing in the title tags, heads, strongs, repeatedablility, etc. I've ended up doing what ya'll have said...painstakingly gone through the pages myself and pinpointing keywords to optimize for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!