• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Google Causing Strange 404 Errors

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Force7

Force7

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:44 AM

Hi,

My stats show an unusual high number of 404 Errors and the majority is from Google.

My referring page has no link to ths URL:

Here senerio:
my referrer - www. mydomain.com/page1.php

URL:
/url(res://C:/Program%20Files/Google/Google%20Toolbar/Component/GoogleToolbarDynamic_mui_en_950DF09FAB501E03.dll/findy_buttons.png)

Part 2 of my Question:
Under my Referrers it is often just a "-" and without that page to know what it was referring to, it is hard to determin what caused the 404 error. What do you do when your stats program does not tell you what page the request came from?

Thanks!

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,886 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:17 PM

Are you using GoAn?

If so, go to Content and choose that URL that gives the 404, and do some cross-referencing that way. You may be able to tell where the referrers are coming from. From what you have posted, it looks like a missing image?

#3 Force7

Force7

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Nov 8 2010, 01:17 PM) View Post
Are you using GoAn?

If so, go to Content and choose that URL that gives the 404, and do some cross-referencing that way. You may be able to tell where the referrers are coming from. From what you have posted, it looks like a missing image?

No, I the powers that be here are not keen on sharing all the data with Google so they use AWStats at this time.

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,041 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE(Force7 @ Nov 8 2010, 07:44 AM) View Post
Here senerio:
my referrer - www. mydomain.com/page1.php

URL:
/url(res://C:/Program%20Files/Google/Google%20Toolbar/Component/GoogleToolbarDynamic_mui_en_950DF09FAB501E03.dll/findy_buttons.png)

Based on this information alone, I would conclude that "page1.php" has an invalid link (the URL you show that ends in ".png") attempting to point to some image.

#5 Force7

Force7

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:06 AM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ Nov 8 2010, 04:06 PM) View Post
Based on this information alone, I would conclude that "page1.php" has an invalid link (the URL you show that ends in ".png") attempting to point to some image.

That is why this is such a mystery, that image has never existed and definately no /url directory. There were just so many of these 404 errors that I was surprised. It seems to be all the errors include the Google Dynamic Tool Bar. Ok, I will just see if it's a fluke.

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,041 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 01:17 PM

Maybe someone accidentally cut--and-pasted a local reference into their browser window and sent the link to a mailing list. Highly unlikely, but without being able to see the page I can only speculate wildly.

You're welcome to PM the actual URL to me and I'll be glad to share an opinion.

#7 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,041 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ Nov 9 2010, 10:17 AM) View Post
Maybe someone accidentally cut--and-pasted a local reference into their browser window and sent the link to a mailing list. Highly unlikely, but without being able to see the page I can only speculate wildly.

You're welcome to PM the actual URL to me and I'll be glad to share an opinion.

So now having had a chance to take a look, I think someone is using a downloadable translation tool to scrape the site.

#8 Force7

Force7

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ Nov 9 2010, 09:20 PM) View Post
So now having had a chance to take a look, I think someone is using a downloadable translation tool to scrape the site.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this further. I had not thought of a scraper tool.

#9 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,041 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE(Force7 @ Nov 10 2010, 06:34 AM) View Post
Thanks for taking the time to look at this further. I had not thought of a scraper tool.

Keep in mind that I am just interpreting what I see and what you told me. Although my hypothesis seems to fit the facts, there could be other reasonable explanations.

#10 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:03 AM

Or unreasonable ones. smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your