• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Bing And Their Robots

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pli

pli

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:58 PM

In the past few months we have changed our dedicated server, which hosts our client websites

We have noticed a drop off in Bing serp's in that we are not doing too well for our clients results.

No problem with either Google or Yahoo-(at the moment)

I am starting to wonder if our server is blocking Bing in some way? I have not been able to find a resource which lists the IP addresses of bings bots

The results in bing's webmaster tools don't indicate that with Pages crawled and Pages indexed looking ok, but I am getting concerned, particularly as Bing continues to slowly increase it's market share

Am I being overly concerned, or is the difference in serp's in Bing compared to Google and Yahoo using the same search phrases being so huge "normal"?

Your thoughts appreciated

Peter

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:19 PM

Let's step back for a min. Indexing and ranking are two very different things.

Are your page's not even indexed by Bing at all? (Not in their database.)

That's not the same as them being in the database but simply not ranking well.

Not indexed often means technical issue. Not ranking could be a whole host of things. And yes, Google's algo is a lot different that Bing's which can make for huge ranking disparities.

Bing is also notoriously slower at indexing new content.

#3 pli

pli

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Nov 4 2010, 11:19 AM) View Post
Let's step back for a min. Indexing and ranking are two very different things.

Are your page's not even indexed by Bing at all? (Not in their database.)

That's not the same as them being in the database but simply not ranking well.

Not indexed often means technical issue. Not ranking could be a whole host of things. And yes, Google's algo is a lot different that Bing's which can make for huge ranking disparities.

Bing is also notoriously slower at indexing new content.

Thanks Jill

Your right: They are indexed ok - I guess I am talking about ranking. I was concerned that maybe they were not being indexed, which is obviously ok.

Our clients are very well ranked in Google and Yahoo. But I am not getting the desired results from Bing.

Have not worried too much about Bing (MSN) in the past, but now need to focus more on Bing

The links are there, the page titles, descriptions, content, sitemaps, robot txt files, webmaster tools etc that can maybe help - all the normal stuff that works well with google and yahoo
Is there a suggested resource to find out what I could be doing better for Bing?

Peter

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:30 PM

Our clients are very well ranked in Google and Yahoo. But I am not getting the desired results from Bing.

Strange. I thought Yahoo was using Bing's results these days.

Is there a suggested resource to find out what I could be doing better for Bing?

Well, since they're algorithm isn't typically as good as Google's, you might have to make your pages not be so good. Which obviously isn't something you'd want to do.

Bing has a very small market share, so unless your target audience happens to be huge Bing users, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you don't appear to be receiving much traffic from there, it is likely more of a "it's them not you" scenario. You shouldn't really expect more than 5% of all your search engine traffic to come from them, at least that's what I typically see across sites.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!