• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Link Building And Blogs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 louandel

louandel

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 06:52 AM

hi,

I am currently doing blogs for a client. at first it was a page linked to her site. I suggested she put the blog on a seperate domain so yhe links i make back to her site will be more benficial for link building. am i right here do you think or is she loosing something by having an extenal link?

your thoughts are appreciated

regards,

louandel

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,961 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 09:45 AM

Either on her site on on a separate one. Either is fine depending on the company's business and branding goals and the reason for having the blog.

Surely the goal of it is not just to gain a link back to her site?

#3 louandel

louandel

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Oct 30 2010, 09:45 AM) View Post
Either on her site on on a separate one. Either is fine depending on the company's business and branding goals and the reason for having the blog.

Surely the goal of it is not just to gain a link back to her site?

The point of the blog is to offer up to date her industry (solar energy) and create a community, and databas of people who sign up to the blog.

I suppose my question around the seperate blog was. If I am doing loads of links back to the main site from the blog will Google see that as one link or count as many links i make from the blogs?

louandel

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,961 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 12:04 PM

If I am doing loads of links back to the main site from the blog will Google see that as one link or count as many links i make from the blogs?

Does it matter?

Link where it makes sense for the readers to provide more context, and don't worry about what counts and what doesn't. Nobody really knows but Google. Luckily, in my opinion, it doesn't matter.

#5 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:11 PM

Creating a community site as a complement to a commercial site is an excellent strategy as long as you really commit to the community site and do it right, not just try to use it for creating links.

A community site can generate a lot of links on its own as people are more likely to link to an authority site on a subject than a commercial business. If you make it obvious that the site only exists to promote the commercial site, you lose the advantage of having a great community site.

That's the long setup to the short answer- link back to the main site in ways that make sense to the user.

Whether or not the search engines count each and every link as a unique link doesn't really matter... it will count for what it counts for. There isn't any magical forumla for determining which links count for how much. But if the real objective is to get CUSTOMERS to your site, then make a community site that attracts and sends customers to your main site.

It really does work out that when you build with the correct end goal in mind (people/customers/sales) that the parts for search engines work themselves out naturally.

#6 louandel

louandel

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:24 PM

Thanks again scottie and Jill. I get it. smile.gif)

Nick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!