• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Google Serps

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 smc_online

smc_online

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:06 PM

Did Google make an official change to their SERPs?
I must of missed the buzz today.

Here is a screen shot:

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:56 PM

Never saw that before. Could be just testing something which they do often. Or perhaps you installed a plug-in?

#3 smc_online

smc_online

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:15 PM

No plug ins. I was using IE8 to QA some site changes when I noticed the new layout.

It only does it in IE (I tried the same search in Chrome and FF to no avail). I also noticed that it showed a different layout for another another search term (different industry). The second SERPs displays the Google Places listings in line with the SERPS and the Google map in the right panel (above the PPC listings).

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:04 PM

Actually, it's official!

#5 smc_online

smc_online

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:35 AM

I think its awesome.

3rd party sites promoting their own domain--ie marketing directories--will not like it, but its about time that local business owners take back the reigns and direct local traffic to their own site (and not the 3rd party promoting other local competitors). Too many business owners have fallen prey to this tactic.

This change should elevate the importance of legitimate local results.

#6 kevs

kevs

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:42 AM

ONE search term I was #1, I'm still #1, but with my local page there at top.
But another very importance search term I was number 4, I'm now 13 below all locals, and there is no local tied to my result.
What up with that? Why the inconsistency.

I'm bummed in that people who had horrid serps, now are ranking top 5 organic.

In fact everything is now paid or local just about. And local is now being commercialized with paid tags.

Do you think people will know the true organics are below?

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:18 PM

In fact everything is now paid or local just about. And local is now being commercialized with paid tags.

Which is, of course, the point.

Doubt most would care.

#8 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:42 PM

It's hard to imagine a typical Websearch query that should produce results different from what is featured in the new local search results. Even if you're just looking for reviews Google provides links to them.

#9 kevs

kevs

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 06:38 PM

Jill, what's the point?
Google got to be #1 for it's great relevant organic results, not a bunch of paid and local results with promotions for tags.

Micheal, did not understand your post.

Back to my question: how come I'm still #1 with the local link etc, but another search term have 10 point drop and the local link is not there?

also Jill, I have heard people say they ignore the paid Adwords and click the organic. Studies and said the organics with 3-4 times the clicks as Adwords. But you don't think at this point the local results with be eschewed for the organics below them.

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:20 AM

Jill, what's the point?

For Google to make money of course!

I have heard people say they ignore the paid Adwords and click the organic.

Some do that. But more often than not, regular people who are not all that web savvy don't even know that certain results are paid for and others aren't. Frankly, they assume they're all paid for.

#11 kevs

kevs

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:16 AM

Jill, do you think Google's greed could be an opening for others.

#12 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:22 AM

Sure, eventually it could be.

But Google is highly entrenched in our society right now, and that's not going to be easy to change. They're going to have to start sucking really bad before people change preferences.

And there's going to have to be something that is one zillion times easier, better, or whatever, to get the masses to change.

#13 Shamon

Shamon

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE(kevs @ Nov 1 2010, 09:42 AM) View Post
ONE search term I was #1, I'm still #1, but with my local page there at top.
But another very importance search term I was number 4, I'm now 13 below all locals, and there is no local tied to my result.
What up with that? Why the inconsistency.

I'm bummed in that people who had horrid serps, now are ranking top 5 organic.

I have maintained a spot at #1 for a site, before and after the serp change... but the owner of a business had recieved a 'few' negative reviews (mostly because he deserved them - but you didn't hear that from me). The google local listing was very difficult to find previously, but now was #1 on page #1 of the SERPS thus making the bad reviews very obvious. He asked me what to do, and I figured out a convoluted method of getting rid of the google local / place page that was attached to the organic result...and what do you know, no movement from the #1 result on page #1. I'd guess that google somehow found a way to merge both their local algo with their organic algo with more weight being given to the organic portion in the new super algo.

#14 kevs

kevs

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:48 PM

thanks Shamon, are you saying he maintained his SEO and getting rid of his place page?

Too bad can't get rid of bad reviews. I personally hate the whole review thing. it makes small business so vulnerable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!