• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Index Page Fallen For Main Keyword Terms

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 excel30

excel30

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:51 AM

I have what I would consider an authority site, certainly a leading site in its field. It has been ranked number 2 for its primary keyword term for about 2 years and ranked very high for multiple other keyword terms. The No1 site is a monster, and would be very difficult to overtake.

Recently we have built extra links to the site, simply requesting link exchanges with partner sites, but we havent been giving links away from our own site.
We have also made some slight change to the html by including "include tags", although we did this on all site pages.

Ive looked at google webmaster tools and cant see any problems, other than a few dead links mainly on a new blog we added the month before, they have ll been fixed now.

Just over 2 weeks ago the index page disappeared from google for all main terms. However it is still present at number one if you search the url, name of the e.g "my site is mine".

All other site pages appear to be ranking normally, many holding top positions. Obviously the index page drew in alot of traffic alone, approximately 25%.

My intial thoughts were to just wait and hope it pops back in. However its been over 2 weeks and the index page has been re-cached a couple of times in that time.

Has anyone else experienced something like? If so what was the outcome?
Anyone any advice, what should we do other than wait? Do you think this is just some kind of short term blip?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:20 AM

Sounds like perhaps a technical problem, assuming you didn't do anything spammy like link to bad neighborhoods.

#3 excel30

excel30

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Oct 27 2010, 09:20 AM) View Post
Sounds like perhaps a technical problem, assuming you didn't do anything spammy like link to bad neighborhoods.

Hi Jill,
Thankyou for responding.

What sort of technical problem might it be? Seems likeit has come out of the blue, very strange its only affecting the index page rankings.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:00 PM

Dunno. Something impeding it from being crawled or viewed?

Or perhaps someone with a more authoritative site duplicated your content and is hijacking your traffic?

Or maybe there are multiple URLs within your site with the same content, so the home page got filtered out.

Impossible to say without thoroughly digging in to see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!