• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

How To Track Users From Site To Site

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hulio

hulio

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:13 PM

Hi all,

I have found myself in a brand new situation (for me): I currently monitor the ppc/analytics for a travel destination site that has the enviable position of having marketing strategies in place, but no real merchandise.

A little background: Our objective is to get people to our site in order to attract visitors to our area, however we don't actually have product to sell. We redirect visitors to our partners who then either sell a package, or redirect to a travel operator; or in some cases, we move the buyer directly to the tour operator. Because we have greater clout and better financial backing, we are able to market more agressively on a global scale. One of our biggest issues is tracking our efforts - once a visitor moves from our site to one of our partners, they're info is gone - or is it?

Is there some way, whether through tracking code or limited access analytics, for us to actually know whether someone has completed a transaction?

This is completely new to me, as previously I worked in a situation where I could track most sales from beginning to end - even if they made the purchase over the phone.

Thanks
Hulio

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,926 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:13 AM

Do you have access to the partner sites so that you could add code on them?

If not, typically the best you can do is track outbound clicks which you can do through Google Analytics. I think it's through event tracking, but it might be some other way. You have to add special code on your own pages to do it if I remember correctly.

#3 hulio

hulio

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Oct 27 2010, 10:13 AM) View Post
Do you have access to the partner sites so that you could add code on them?

If not, typically the best you can do is track outbound clicks which you can do through Google Analytics. I think it's through event tracking, but it might be some other way. You have to add special code on your own pages to do it if I remember correctly.

That's part of the issue - I might be able to get code added to some of the partner sites, but you know how some businesses are about privacy and such. Although you'd think that since they're giving us money to bring them more business, they'd want more solid numbers.

Currently (due to certain security issues imposed upon us), we are using Webtrends for analytics. I can only assume that there would be a similar option for tracking as with GA?

Thanks for your help, Jill - as always!
Hulio

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,926 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:25 AM

I would check with the webtrends support people to see what your options are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!