• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Page Rank Not Passed For All Pages When Changing Domains/urls

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MKH

MKH

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:26 AM

About 6 weeks ago one of my clients relaunched an ecommerce website including a domain change, change in URL structure and a design change. All URLs are being redirected with 301's to the new site.

The strange thing is that the homepage page rank has transferred to the new website, however it hasn't been transferred for any of the internal pages. Has anyone had this happen to them before?

We've also noticed that a large number of pages from the old domain (over 1M) have suddenly appeared in google's index when doing a "site:" query. Is this typical? How long does it usually take for a site to be completely removed from google's index?

Thanks in advance!

~Mike

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,614 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:22 AM

For a page with over a million pages that doesn't happen to get crawled as often or as deeply as CNN or the NY Times? I'd say quite a while. A few months, probably, and quite possibly forever.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:51 AM

The strange thing is that the homepage page rank has transferred to the new website, however it hasn't been transferred for any of the internal pages. Has anyone had this happen to them before?

Are you talking about toolbar PageRank? Or where your page ranks in the search engines?

If it's the former, don't worry about it that's normal.

If it's the latter, then that is a problem. Did you redirect page to page, or redirect everything to the home page?

#4 MKH

MKH

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:06 AM

Thanks for the quick responses smile.gif

QUOTE(qwerty @ Oct 25 2010, 09:22 PM) View Post
I'd say quite a while. A few months, probably, and quite possibly forever.

That's what I was afraid of - the "change of address" notification through webmaster tools has also been submitted - is this likely to assist?

QUOTE(Jill @ Oct 25 2010, 09:51 PM) View Post
Are you talking about toolbar PageRank? Or where your page ranks in the search engines?

If it's the former, don't worry about it that's normal.

If it's the latter, then that is a problem. Did you redirect page to page, or redirect everything to the home page?

It's both - the google toolbar page rank for internal pages is 0 or not reported, but we've also lost positioning in the SERPs. Each page has been redirected each page to it's new URL.

Thanks again,

Mike

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:11 AM

It's both - the google toolbar page rank for internal pages is 0 or not reported, but we've also lost positioning in the SERPs. Each page has been redirected each page to it's new URL.

The toolbar PageRank doesn't get updated, so don't even look at that.

But I'd worry about the page's losing their position. Did you change the structure of the site? How each page links to each other page? Because will affect how each page ranks for their related search phrases.

#6 MKH

MKH

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Oct 26 2010, 12:11 AM) View Post
Did you change the structure of the site? How each page links to each other page? Because will affect how each page ranks for their related search phrases.

The structure of the site hasn't had any major changes, however I'll need to check what's changed with the internal linking... thanks again smile.gif

~Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!