• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Asp Versus Php?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Marina

Marina

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:53 PM

Hi,
I was talking with a web designer to create a new website. He works with .asp. He said that asp is much better than php because google ranks pages created in asp better. I would like to know your opinion. Has this a foundation or am I being cheated?
Thanks,
Marina

#2 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:43 AM

He talks with forked tongue.
Maybe this was a fortuitous warning that this web designer is not knowledgeable enough when it comes to Google and SEO. Or maybe he misleads you because he wants to place your site on his MS server.

Either way, perhaps you should look elsewhere for a Web Designer.

#3 rolf

rolf

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:41 AM

The following 2 points of view are both more or less as correct as each other:

1) ASP is Microsoft's version of PHP

2) PHP is the open source version of ASP

AFAIK Microsoft 'came up with' ASP long after PHP had made its mark, although I don't think Microsoft would admit that ASP is just their version of PHP and both have been developed significantly since they both came on the scene; not that this matters to your question greatly, but it may provide a little context to Piskies post, which I entirely agree with.

Either your web designer is not being entirely straight with you, or they don't know any better - either way, as neither is better than the other when it comes to SEO it maybe time to look elsewhere for a web designer...

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:19 AM

Personally, I prefer php, because I just don't like working with Windows servers, but luckily for Microsoft, Google doesn't agree with me. They absolutely don't care what file type you use.

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,103 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:57 AM

AFAIK Microsoft 'came up with' ASP long after PHP had made its mark
Actually they were released within months of each other.
PHP mid 1995 and ASP late 1996, and PHP didn't gain much of a foothold until V3 came out in 1998.

I prefer to work in ASP mainly because I started programming ASP vBscript in 1997 (in-house Windows server) (and the fact that PHP looks like it was designed by a comittee who's members didn't actually speak to each other)

#6 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:55 AM

christchurch
PHP looks like it was designed by a committee who's members didn't actually speak to each other

Only looks like !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#7 Marina

Marina

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:42 PM

Thank you for your advises and explanations!

#8 BBCoach

BBCoach

HR 5

• 402 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:41 PM

chris is 100% correct about the timing of PHP and ASP and like chris I prefer ASP for the same reasons. And to tack on what everyone else is saying that it doesn't matter what technology is behind the display of web pages one can answer the obvious question. What is displayed when a page is generated from any server code? Answer: It ain't server language or server code unless that person doesn't know what he/she is doing or they intentionally want to represent server code as text.

Edited by BBCoach, 04 November 2010 - 04:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!