• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Resources-links-etc. Pages

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:57 PM

Do links from pages with titles such as "resources", "links",etc. carry any value?

Ive heard people say links from such pages were generally useless......

Personally, I woudnt jump to conclusions like that, because if an important site has a resources section with carefully selected links/sites (meaning not 100s, but 6 or 7), I dont see why this should not count as a "vote".

I assume only google's algorithm knows......but anyone made any relevant observations perhaps?

#2 rolf

rolf

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:37 AM

No observations directly from G, however I have a couple of observations from resource links and some logic that leads me to think you're right.

For one of my sites I have a few links from our suppliers, who are generally manufacturers. These are obviously genuinely useful pages to their visitors, and I feel genuine (albeit commercially tinged) votes for us. On their sites they usually have a dedicated page as a suppliers' list with links. In many ways this is not far from a generic links page and in some cases the generic wording along the lines of 'resources' or 'links to our stockists', so a 'stupid' bot could well toss in the bin with any other links page.

I find that we get some decent and converting traffic from these types of links, which further reinforces my belief that this is a useful resource and not just commercial toss; so it seems logical to me that, if G has thought the process through this far and logic says they could have, then G would count these links as genuine votes on some level.

Just my take on it, but I don't see that the generic title should destroy the credibility when all the other things line up.

#3 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:32 AM

Sorry for only replying to this, now! thanks for your analysis. I think along the same lines as you do, but then again I dont always know what google thinks :-)

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:44 PM

It's not the page title that matters. It's the amount of value that Google algorithmically perceives the page conveys to visitors that matters. How you treat the page and how other Websites treat the page helps search engines determine how they should treat the page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!