• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Re-acquired Domain - 301, 302 Or Park?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rolf

rolf

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:23 AM

I have just re-acquired a domain that had been poached a couple of years ago due to a combination of administrative mess up on my part and a little bad luck, where ultimately a squatter wanted me to pay several hundred pounds for my-former-business-name.com

I was quite annoyed at the time and might still have been willing to pay a small ransom for it, however it really wasn't worth what they were asking, in fact, my only real interest was from a continuity point of view and a for few older links that delivered a little traffic, so I wrote it off. FTR The squatter just used the domain as a 'we sell domains' advert, and clearly wasn't able to sell my old domain, so at least their inconveniencing me hadn't profited them, but whatever, no big deal really, just a little annoying

Anyway, fast forward a couple of years and I found out that it had lapsed again and was up for grabs, so I bagged it - on principle as much as anything. I just parked it on the newer domain as I expected no benefit from it, but it turns out to have sent me a couple of hundred visitors from those old links that are surprisingly still active.

So my question is, should I leave it alone, or 301 or 302?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,929 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:27 AM

301 definitely.

#3 rolf

rolf

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip