• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Back To Back Domain And Url Changes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JWG

JWG

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:52 AM

I have a client that redesigned its 20,000 page site and moved it to a new domain 5 months ago using 301 redirects. Organic traffic dropped 50% immediately after the change. I learned yesterday (groan) that they will undertake a project early next year to simplify all of the URLs on the new site. 301 redirects will be used.

Questions:
1. Will changing URLs so close on the heels (5 months) of a domain change cause the 301s, spiders, etc to be less reliable than they normally would be?
2. What further impact on organic traffic should we anticipate?
3. What recommendations might any of you have to minimize organic losses?

Thanks in advance.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:55 AM

1. Will changing URLs so close on the heels (5 months) of a domain change cause the 301s, spiders, etc to be less reliable than they normally would be?

It shouldn't. But I would highly suggest redoing the first set of redirects so that they point to the latest destination, not the interim one.

What further impact on organic traffic should we anticipate?

You shouldn't have seen any impact on traffic if things were done correctly with search engines in mind.

#3 JWG

JWG

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:57 PM

Thanks for earlier response. One more question... are 301s more effective passing PageRank and links in URL changes than they are in domain changes?

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:11 AM

They're just as effective for both these days.

#5 JWG

JWG

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Oct 12 2010, 09:55 AM) View Post
It shouldn't. But I would highly suggest redoing the first set of redirects so that they point to the latest destination, not the interim one.

Turns out the first redirects (the ones associated with the domain change) were 302s. Client plans to switch them to 301s when they implement URL shortening in Jan. Doing it this way has decimated organic traffic.

Your earlier response seems to imply that that doing 301s for the domain change and replacing them 6 mos later with 301s pointing to the pages with new shortened Urls would have been preferable. Right? Any downside to using 301s for both?

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:08 PM

I would change those 302s asap to 301s.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your