• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Professional Negligence & Seo

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:31 PM

So this site Ive been working on, I want to launch a second link building campaign on it. Actually Ive done all the necessary research, already, but....Im a bit paranoid about the law........and this particular "link bait"(it isn't anything evil...) Im afraid might have a particular law risk attached to it - its about educating the industry on a certain safety topic, you could say.

the site owner told me (I asked him multiple times) it was fine with him, he was willing to take that (probably really minuscule) risk of having that content on his site.

However, it made me wonder - could I get a signed statement/contract or something from someone like him....so that...if he ever gets into trouble because of this, he wouldnt be able to sue me? Or can I not simply get rid of that risk associated with that linkbait content on his site..in any way?

PS:

what about SEO in general? Isnt this a major concern for every seo consultant and employee? something happens to someone's rankings.....and how many judges in the world are knowledgeable enough about SEO? Dont SEOs get sued by the thousands whenever an algo update takes place?biggrin.gif

PPS:

I must repeat that the link bait I want to create for this guy probably only has a law risk in MY (paranoid) head biggrin.gif, and I have told the website owner my concerns about it more than once....just so I can reduce the riks of hearing "its irresponsible, if you wouldnt put it on your own site" ;-).

#2 Mooro

Mooro

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:01 AM

Good old fashion butt covering terms should cover your butt!

smile.gif

#3 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:20 AM

QUOTE(Mooro @ Oct 12 2010, 09:01 AM) View Post
Good old fashion butt covering terms should cover your butt!

smile.gif

lol, thanks..looking into it already

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:11 AM

could I get a signed statement/contract or something from someone like him....so that...if he ever gets into trouble because of this, he wouldnt be able to sue me?

Yes of course.

what about SEO in general? Isnt this a major concern for every seo consultant and employee? something happens to someone's rankings.....and how many judges in the world are knowledgeable enough about SEO? Dont SEOs get sued by the thousands whenever an algo update takes place?

That's what contracts are for. Don't do any work without them.

#5 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Oct 12 2010, 03:11 PM) View Post
Yes of course.
That's what contracts are for. Don't do any work without them.

must admit that i have indeed been a little bit negligent when it comes to this. working on this guy's site for free, so thought I couldnt get any issues, because of not getting paid,etc. but now that i found out it all comes down to "holding yourself out to be of more than average skill/abilities",etc. (i doubt it would be hard to not hold yourself out as more than average skill at SEO measured against an average person who typically doesnt know anything about it)

so yeah...good to know, will make it a habit from now on!

#6 MauriceWalshe

MauriceWalshe

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 05:56 AM

QUOTE(PatrickGer @ Oct 12 2010, 01:31 AM) View Post
So this site Ive been working on, I want to launch a second link building campaign on it. Actually Ive done all the necessary research, already, but....Im a bit paranoid about the law........and this particular "link bait"(it isn't anything evil...) Im afraid might have a particular law risk attached to it - its about educating the industry on a certain safety topic, you could say.

Not quite sure what your getting at? is it a computer security risk you can always CYA with small print about how this is for information only.

Though I did add a rider to my post on the Spooks forum discussing the latest episode about how to break into a system, that the information I was discussing was in the public domain, that I had permission to do what I did and I didnít work for the secret squirrel side of British Telecom.

#7 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 12:47 AM

Not quite sure what your getting at? is it a computer security risk you can always CYA with small print about how this is for information only.

Lots of people say it is as simple as adding a disclaimer like that....but the courts have decided differently in the past.

People who used disclaimers have gotten sued and the information I dug up on it (on law sites), basically read that "disclaimers should be used because their cost is so low and they may be helpful....but the courts typically pay more attention to the circumstances,etc.". One example was that someone selling baby toys that end up injuring babies, wont (didnt?not sure if it happened or if it just was an example) get away simply because he had a disclaimer somewhere reading "use at your own risk" or similar.

So unfortunately..as always with the law?wink1.gif...it is not that easy.

i did found out however, that there have been 2 recent cases where disclaimers on websites did save people's asses in c ourt. so apparently theyre truly worth it (considering the low cost of getting them)...even though they may not always help.

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,842 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:02 AM

So unfortunately..as always with the law?wink1.gif...it is not that easy.

Unfortunately there is no protection from the terminally stupid. And the law seems to side with the idiots in so many cases

That's why McDonalds print a warning that your tea might be hot (they should try making the fries hot as well one day!) and packs of trimming knife tell you they might be sharp (they had better be, it's why I bought the damned things!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!